Buying wife new Regs; Help Please

Scubapro or Apeks for the wife?

• Scubapro MK25/S550

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Apeks CTX-50

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my wife the MK25/S600 and she loves it. But she hated the mouthpiece so we got her the Sea Cure. Have her try out these regs and see which she prefers.

Hi Aaron,

This may seem obvious, but have you and your wife considered the Poseidon Odin? The Odin sounds ideal for your wife, given your 'criteria':

1) it's world famous for handling low temperatures.

2) it's also world famous for supplying plenty of air at any depth.......the Odin has a 'servo-assisted' 2nd stage, which is great for providing a satisfying 'woosh' of air when your wife inhales......very relaxing to breathe. Also, take a look at the 2nd-stage orfice where the mouthpiece joins the 2nd-stage body, you will see that the air opening has probably twice the cross-sectional area to inhale and exhale air through of a 'typical' regulator.....another tribute to the Odin design where maximum air flow is a top priority.

3) it would be ideal for your wife's interest in photography.....the side-exhaust for exhaled bubbles in the Odin is unsurpassed for clear, unobstructed vision......vastly superior to a 'conventional' reg such as SP or Apeks,.....
I'd encourage your wife to test dive the Odin to actually experience the clarity of UW vision....she will totally forget she is even exhaling.....she might hear the bubbles, but she certainly won't see them.

4) jaw fatigue is a non-issue, especially since Poseidon recently started to equip all it's regs with a new generation of soft-silicone mouthpieces......very comfortable, and last fall I switched out the original mouthpieces on my 3 Odin reg sets to these 'new' mouthpieces and have been tremendously pleased with the comfort.

If you lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth Tx area I'd be happy to loan your wife an Odin to test dive......but even if that's impossible, I'd encourage your wife to find a friend or dive shop where she could test dive the Odin before making her final decision......I think it would be exactly what she's looking for!

Karl

I could go either way. I bought a Mk25/S600 which i have only tried in a pool but is great. I just my fiance an Apeks ATX40/ATX40 combo from Dive Inn. I actually ordered a TX40/TX40 combo which they were offering for $209 but when it showed up it was the newer ATX model...good deal for me. I didn't give here the chance to try it out, but it should breath much much better than her entry level Dacor reg she has now.

I do have to agree the Scuba Pro mouthpiece isn;t great, I had problems with mine in the pool and now that someone has mentioned it I will be replacing mine before I head to Florida in a few weeks.

Buy yourself nice new gear and give her all the old stuff...

Stick with the Mk25/S600, that way they are also interchangeable with what you dive. Kind of like buying your wife that fancy drill (the one you have been drooling over) for her birthday.

So when you and your buddies get into tech diving and she admits that she would rather spend the weekend with her parents than diving with you and "your" friends you can inherit her gear.

13 years of marriage and I swear she can read my thoughts. I am not bitter, I just have a lot of extra dive gear.

Well i don't think i will have to worry too much about her going diving with me, atleast not locally. SHe has already voiced her hatred of cold quarries. As far as giving her the old stuff, my old stuff is only a month older than her new stuff.

Thank you'all for your input, comments and jokes. I haven't decided yet since I do want her to ultimately choose her own regs or fate, however you look at it. I do want her to look at the Odin also since she is getting into photography. But it looks like either Reg that she chooses, it will be a good choice.

I still welcome more comments and or experiences.

Thanks again,

Aaron

.....I know choosing a reg can be a tough decision, and overall the regs get better and better every year, so chance are if you buy a mid-to-top-of-the-line regulator from a number of 'famous' name brands you probably won't go seriously wrong, so to help you and your wife narrow things down you really have to focus on her scuba "priorities' :

1) there's no question the Odin will be vastly better than the SP for her UW photography......the SP has a short exhaust-T, which means bubbles will get in her way.....the Odin is side-exhaust, moreover, it's a bit longer than even other side exhaust regs (like the Oceanic Omega/Dacor Viper)...which means it's the best reg on the market for exhausting bubbles far away from the face.......once she dives the Odin he will find it hard to ever go back to 'conventional' exhaust regs, and the annoying way the bubbles roar around the ears and pelt one's mask and generally get in the way of clear vision.

2) the Odin is a sealed-diaphragm 1st stage...the SP's are open piston designs.......meaning the SP 1st stage is much more vulnerable to water-borne contamination/corrosion. There are many threads on this board debating the diaphragm vs. piston issue.......but I think the Odin will be a lot less sensitive to careful post-dive cleaning issues than the SP.

3) the 'weight' (drag) of the Odin 2nd-stage is distributed 'horizontally' unlike the 'conventional' SP with the regular exhaust-t, which has it's weight (drag) distributed 'vertically'....so I think there is less of a tendency towards jaw fatigue, since there's less weight pulling downward on the jaw...which I think your wife will appreciate.

Please let us know her decision! :)

Karl

Back
Top Bottom