C-5050 Microdrives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's time to decide whether to buy another 256MB card or go the whole hog and buy a microdrive. Trouble is I've not seen much info on the microdrives even on B&H web site. Does anyone have any info on these and if they are stable in the housed environment?

DrSteve:
It's time to decide whether to buy another 256MB card or go the whole hog and buy a microdrive. Trouble is I've not seen much info on the microdrives even on B&H web site. Does anyone have any info on these and if they are stable in the housed environment?

I always avoided them due to moving mechanical parts and high heat creation. These may not be problems anymore, but with huge CF cards available, not sure there's any benefit to a MD.

ChrisM:
I always avoided them due to moving mechanical parts and high heat creation. These may not be problems anymore, but with huge CF cards available, not sure there's any benefit to a MD.
I remember seeing the past week or so someone having a 1GB CF card for just over $100. Considering that you can't use a Microdrive in the 5050 bigger than 2GB I think the CF card would be the way to go now that the big ones are more affordable.

Randy

Who has a 1gb cf card for 100? I want one.

Randyp1234:
I remember seeing the past week or so someone having a 1GB CF card for just over $100. Considering that you can't use a Microdrive in the 5050 bigger than 2GB I think the CF card would be the way to go now that the big ones are more affordable.

Randy

I went to an u/w photographers lecture recently and all the "experts" said that there is more to go wrong with a microdrive so none of them use them. A 512mb card should hold enough photos to satisfy most people.

Microdrive - yetch!!! Definitely NOT Oly DIR!!! (Too many failure points)

hunter991:
Who has a 1gb cf card for 100? I want one.
Maybe not. I'm not familiar with the camera you're talking about but you might want a faster card. CF cards are doing what CDs did a few years ago. You can now get a 16x, 40x and even 80x card. Most cameras have a buffer and once the buffer is full they can't take anymore pictures until the buffer is written to disk. I went with and 80x card for my land camera because it is pretty high resolution and shoots pretty fast so I wanted to be able to clear the buffer as fast as possible. A 1GB 80x card set me back about $250 at LPS (Local Photo Shop :wink: ). Just something to think about. Just something to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom