C-5050 optical viewfinder problem!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys!

We just received our factory refurbed C-5050 from Digital Delivered.com. Problem with it (of course) is the optical view finder is wayyyyy fuzzy. Even when adjusting the diopter correction it is still fuzzy. I tried buying an Oly Camedia 2 years ago and had two in a row with the same problem and then switched to Fuji.

At this point we aren't sure if the camera itself works. But of course there is the concern that if we use it and then return it, it could get replaced with a C-5060 so our brand new PT-015 housing is no longer any good.

Any thoughts?

Who 'refurbed' it? Did it come with any kind of Olympus warranty? If so, I'd send it to them to be checked out. If not, you may be SOL. That's one of the major drawbacks to buying from some of these internet places.

Dee:
Who 'refurbed' it? Did it come with any kind of Olympus warranty? If so, I'd send it to them to be checked out. If not, you may be SOL. That's one of the major drawbacks to buying from some of these internet places.
It was an Olympus refurb with the std 90 day refub warranty. One thing we just found out was that the optical viewfinder is perfect *when the camera is turned on*, but turn the camera off and it's fuzzy again! Seems very strange for a camera which isn't an SLR...

I shot an email to Olympus as well.

I just looked at mine...same thing. I don't use the optical viewfinder so I never noticed it. Guess they figured you'd only be looking through it to take pictures.

Wouldn't that be a little bit like a "feature"? If the optical view finder fuzzes up when the camera is turned off then wouldn't that be a visual reminder that the camera is not turned on?

Just thinking strangely.

Wristshot

LMFAO yes describing it as a "feature" would be the perfect way to describe it. So far Oly hasn't commented.

Wristshot:
Wouldn't that be a little bit like a "feature"? If the optical view finder fuzzes up when the camera is turned off then wouldn't that be a visual reminder that the camera is not turned on?

Just thinking strangely.

Wristshot

Brilliant!!!!! Very analytical. I like your theory..

Look thru the viewfinder as you turn on the camera. As the lens extends the viewfinder comes into focus. Optics?

On my C4000, I found the optical view finder to be pretty far off from where the camera is actually pointing. I have to place the subject at the top of the cross hair in the view finder if I want to center the subject. I know, don't center the subject, but I had to find out where the camera was pointing when I used the view finder. The LCD display is very hard to use in direct sunlight, so the only other choice is the optical view finder.

How do you get on for doing this under the water?

DennisW:
On my C4000, I found the optical view finder to be pretty far off from where the camera is actually pointing. I have to place the subject at the top of the cross hair in the view finder if I want to center the subject. I know, don't center the subject, but I had to find out where the camera was pointing when I used the view finder. The LCD display is very hard to use in direct sunlight, so the only other choice is the optical view finder.

Back
Top Bottom