C5050 Remote Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jester

Reaction score
OK guys, I've been trying to get a picture of a Rufus Hummingbird that has been frequenting the feeders in my back yard. I set the camera on a tripod, set the remote switch to "on," set the camera to shutter priority and manual focus, with the ISO set to 400.

Here's the problem. When I take a test photo, everything works fine. Then, when I wait around for the Rufus to appear and then press the remote, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Is it possible that your camera is going to "sleep" during your waiting period?
My 5050 goes into "stand by" mode after about 2 minutes. You can probably change the settings in the Set Up mode.
Good luck
Sibhod

I suspect you're right about the camera going into "sleep" mode, but I can't locate anywhere in the setup where this can be adjusted. In fact, the manual doesn't even seem to mention the sleep mode at all.

This hummingbird only comes around every 10-15 minutes, and he only stays for about 1 minute. Really frustrating.

Jester:
This hummingbird only comes around every 10-15 minutes, and he only stays for about 1 minute. Really frustrating.

if you cant figure out anything else, sit there with the remote and take a pic about once a minute till the bird gets there and then take all you want of it. at least that way the camera wont go to sleep while your waiting.

steve

In the Reference manual (downloadable from the Olympus website) it says that the camera goes to sleep after 2-3 minutes. I don't think it's adjustable. Perhaps when you see the hummingbird you can press the shutter release on the remote to "wake up" the camera and then take the picture as the oportunity comes along.

I felt a little foolish standing there clicking away at nothing, but I was able to catch the little fella.

First time to post a picture, and had to resize it. Hope it comes out OK.

Aardal:
Nice catch! Have you been able to get more?

I'll be experimenting some more, possibly with macro mode. I'm not real happy with the focus on this one, but it's not too bad considering that I had to "guess" at where he'd be when I clicked the remote.

Davis....how close can you get the camera to the feeder? If you can get within 3-4 ft, I bet macro would work well...doesn't it focus to infinity?

Dee:
Davis....how close can you get the camera to the feeder? If you can get within 3-4 ft, I bet macro would work well...doesn't it focus to infinity?

Somehow I've got to find the right mix of shutter speed/aperature setting to "freeze" the wings (they flap really fast) and still get the object within the depth of field. I did this first picture at an ISO setting of 400, but I'll probably experiment with some settings less than that (further complicating the setup).

I'll keep y'all posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom