Cabo San Lucas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Baja Dive...I'm coming to Cabo arriving 17 Sept, staying until either 21 or 24, depending on whether I stay to dive 3 days. Any recommendations on part of Cabo in which to reside if I stay on my own a few days after my friends leave? Not sure of the proximity to diving. I prefer low key and won't likely have a car. I'm an Advanced diver, nitrox certified, underwater photography, 200+ dives. Checked out your dive shop site but didn't see anything on recommended lodging or locations -- thanks for the advice!

Bump

Well, I still haven't gone to Cabo yet. Cozumel and cenotes keeps creeping to the top of the list. Anyone care to comment on their experiences since 2014? I am really hoping to visit this summer.

My wife and I were there the first week in November. We've dived the Pacific in Costa Rica before, and wanted a change from Caribbean diving.

We did three days with Manta Divers; two tanks at Land's End, a whale shark and sea lion one-tanker from La Paz, and two tanks on the Corridor.

Stayed at an AI, so not a lot of local information on food and entertainment, but we loved the diving and already planning next trip.

Wasn't going to do a trip report, but would be happy to respond to any questions.

I just did my AOW with Manta Scuba, located near the marina in Cabo San Lucas. In addition to my 5 AOW tanks, I did a 3 tank "combination" day with Manta. I have about 50 dives, mostly in the Caribbean, and was very happy with the life and the service from Manta. The sea lions are fun to watch too!

We did three days with Manta Divers

I just did my AOW with Manta Scuba

Interested in using Manta when I'm there in January. Can either of you answer the following:

Do they store your gear for you when doing multiple days of diving?

On diving days, do you meet at the boat or their shop?

If meeting at the shop, do you carry your own gear to the boat? Just wondering what kind of bag I will need to take with me.

If you signed up on-line, did you have to book the specific days you were diving or did you pick the dives and arrange the days once in Cabo?

Appreciate any other info you think is pertinent.

They have lockers so you can store gear for multiple days. You meet at the shop and they use wheeled carts to take gear to the boat. The guide will push the cart; you don't have to haul gear. I booked everything online.

They have lockers so you can store gear for multiple days. You meet at the shop and they use wheeled carts to take gear to the boat. The guide will push the cart; you don't have to haul gear. I booked everything online.

Same here. We were impressed with how professionally we were accommodated. All the staff is exceptionally courteous, and we felt like we were important as clients.

While we have dived extensively on the other side of Mexico, particularly Cozumel and the Riviera Maya mainland for the cenotes (and ocean diving), we are now wondering why we ignored Cabo san Lucas and the Baja for so long. You cannot beat the topside attraction of the mountains meeting the desert meeting the ocean, and the sea life, especially the sea lions, was excellent.

We are already planning our return trip.

Couple of unedited pics:

24190345457_9b211fda3f.jpg

25185102118_b7961db53b.jpg

Couple more unedited pictures from Cabo san Lucas.

Wreck at Land's End

24196250617_f5b5581f17.jpg

38176012705_d959f5e9c1.jpg

School of Mobius Rays off of Land's End

25191169498_fc01f2488c.jpg

25191169728_687d62866f.jpg

The two white tip sharks I posted the picture about above were near Pelican Rock (Point?) right outside the main marina, as was the school picture.

The Land's End dive was very interesting (and physically challenging) as you enter the water on the Sea of Cortez and via a surging swim-through, end the dive in the Pacific Ocean (where the wreck and the school of rays were).

hile we have dived extensively on the other side of Mexico, particularly Cozumel and the Riviera Maya mainland for the cenotes (and ocean diving), we are now wondering why we ignored Cabo san Lucas and the Baja for so long. You cannot beat the topside attraction of the mountains meeting the desert meeting the ocean, and the sea life, especially the sea lions, was excellent.

Bold emphasis mine. This is an important issue I'd prefer not to gloss over. One of my favorite forum subjects is why one destination is (or isn't) as popular as another, and what's keeping some destinations from climbing to greater prominent (e.g.: if the diving is good at St. Eustatius, Grand Turk, Dominica & Tobago, what's keeping them so far behind Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan & Belize in forum mindshare?).

IIRC, the Cabo region offers sea lion encounters, like California, but at least part of the year you can dive it with warm water (which I presume means you don't get the kelp forest, though many people prefer warm water).

So, why isn't the Cabo area in more discussions & trip reports on Scuba Board? Why don't I see more local dive shop-organized trips to it?

Richard.

Going to finish up my photo posts with a couple from our Whale Shark/Sea Lion La Paz trip.

Quite frankly, we went for the Sea Lions, having done the Isla Mujeres Whale Shark snorkel trip a couple of years ago. On our La Paz trip, we may have seen two (although not sure it wasn't the same one, twice); on our Isla trip, we must have seen dozens, although have to admit, I think it was just starting to be Whale Shark season in La Paz.

39001989942_44a0bc2e17.jpg

Our goal was the Sea Lions at Los Islotes. We must have spent twenty minutes of the dive in less than 20 feet of water, watching them play.

38189595005_a5d336db3f.jpg

25204358188_3a65d83d10.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom