Caesarea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking for a contact for the divers working on the Caesarea project in Israel. I saw an old post from 07' with no response and the 01' link is dead. Has anyone been there or can point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Phil

Hi I'm not sure what's going on in Caesarea if you are looking into volunteering for a archological dig I know theres some stuff going on in Akko up north. I don't know what the Caesarea project is but I'm sure you can find information on the internet if not let me know I'll see if I can make some phone call's. If that won't help there's a dive shop there and maybe they can give you some information.
Rauven

Try contacting the University of Haifa: they usually have some volunteering projects during the summer- not sure about Caesarea, though.

The link below has information from previous season volunteering (sunken ships in Dor/Tantura beach)- haven't seen information about this summer. A friend of mine who participated in an excavation a few years ago told me they usually do three week sessions during the month of September- just before the semester begins.
I think the Professor in charge is Dr. Jacob Caanob. Try to contact him for information: yak@research.haifa.ac.il

Here is more info- don't know why the "English" button does not work, but you may try later:

Department of Maritime Civilizations

And this one has more practical information- just the kind you are looking for :) :

The Leon Recanati Institute for Maritime Studies

Last edited:
Thank you for all the links and information. The English still isn't working but the other contacts may be of help.
We have a group called the Tahoe Divers Conservancy that works in Lake Tahoe on cultural, historical and environmental projects. We were looking for a group to do an exchange with in a "warmer climate". Someone found the Caesarea site and thought that was really interesting. So that was the driver for a contact. Didn't know if there are any Divers Conservancies in the area?
Phil

Dear PHil HI
I think Jai Bar is really into things and knows whats going on, I just know that in Akko the U of Hiafa are digging a Nepolean aea ship and I'm sure thay need volunteers try getting in touch with Hadas at the U of Hiafa. I'd love to do a dig but timing is bad they do mostly in September when the sea gets calm and the water clear. They also want at least several weeks of volunteering. Let me know maybe we'll meet up I live just about 20 min from Akko in land.
Rauven

Thanks Rauven
Looks like if we were to arrange anything it will have to be September 09. We will followup with the U of H. I will need to start now on the grant progress.
Best,
Phil

I just saw a notice calling for volunteers during September 7th-25th, 2008.

The excavations- two vessels, one from 17-19th Century and the second from 8-9th- will take place in Dor.

For more details and requirements, you can contact the Haifa University Marine Civilizations department: +972 4 8249819 or eyal1@zahav.net.il

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom