Cage-dive boat capsizes in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me ignorant, but I don't understand how a life vest would have saved a life in what appeared to have happened in this case. From what I understand, other boats came to the scene fairly quick. IMHO, people who can't swim or at least tread water, shouldn't be on a diving boat in the first place.
We certainly cannot determine from sketchy info in a news article for sure, but the divers died from downing - not from attacks, altho we don't know if perhaps they were trapped under the hull or whatever the details. It really doesn't take much water in lungs to start a choking episode tho, so even a capable swimmer could find himself in panic and unable to focus on swimming.

In general, drownings can be prevented with PFDs but so often these are not used on boat - and the vast majority of boating deaths are a direct result. Grier informed us above that this trip is within sight of land, but even on North Carolina boats that travel 2 or 3 hours out to sites - and divers frequently peeing off the stern of the moving boats, PFDs are not used.

So I'll live with funny looks I get wearing my personal horse collar vest, as I did on NC boat rides - and if I get a surprise fall into the water, I'll use my first exhale to inflate it.

On a slightly different note I don't really know why people want to get in a cage and then have great whites ram it while they are inside............[/I]

1. It's better than watching them from outside the cage. You're much safer inside the cage.
2. I'll never understand why people jump out of aircraft either. You're much safer inside the plane.

I'll never understand why people jump out of aircraft either. You're much safer inside the plane.
Well, you haven't seen our plane, Whuffo!:rofl3:

OK..you jump and I'll try the cage....:crafty:

Sheet... I did enough jumps in my time. Done that..been there. That's what your twenties are for. Ocean is much more fun. Even without a cage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom