Cairns early 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pamdiv

Contributor
Reaction score
Central California, until I retire then it's somew
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there all you Aussies Down Under!
I am planning a trip to Cairns sometime early 2006 and would like to know when is the diving better, in Feb? or in April? Included in this trip will be a 3 or 4 day liveaboard trip and I would like some recommendations on a good dive op in the Cairns area. Thanks to all who help and I can't wait to get there!
Pam

I can't help you wether Feb or April is better for diving the barrier reef, but i can recommend you a dive op for Cairns: Pro-Dive

I made my dive course there one year ago on a 3 day liveaboard and it was just great. Friendly ppl, great food and the boats are very new and extra clean. it's definitely not the cheapest choice i admit, but it is surely worth the price!!! (and you got the reef tax included, which you have to pay extra at many other ops)

Enjoy your trip!

There is also some info about Pro-dive in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t86125-cairns-in-june.html

Take a look at fredi's post :wink:

i did the Down under Dive liveaboard in 2002. i loved it but the boat stayed at the same mooring for the whole 3 days (engine problems!) so the reef (norman) became pretty boring. it was also quite busy with about 10 dive boats and the great adventures pontoon nearby.

In 2003 i did the pro dive trip. very nice boat, great food and very professional and friendly crew. the reefs we visited (miln & flynn) were pristine, uncrowded and colorful

I was still just a snorkeller when i did the abovementioned trips.

Next week i am leaving for my third trip to cairns. I am doing the Taka dive 5 day trip to Cod hole and Osprey reef. This is my first trip as an open water diver and i am very excited. i will do a trip report when i get back. I will be doing my "advanced" course as well.

February weather in Cairns is wet. but hey who cares its wet underwater anyway. they say the visibility is better during the rainy season

I have always gone in Late November or early December. That is when the water is warming up and before the heat and humidity begins. I have heard Jan and Feb can be very hot and humid.

You know Cairns is a jumping off point for the Reef. Not much to do there, a lot of dive operations take you out (for the day) to Green Island which is just OK diving.

Are you going out on a liveaboard or Cruise?

I went with Deep Sea Diver's Den in Cairns and did a 3-4 day liveaboard on the outer reef. I had a great time with them. Although the liveaboard was large, my buddy and I had no problem staying away from the larger groups and finding areas to explore on our own. Instructor Paul Crottie there was the only instructor/DM I met on my three month trip who recognizes my 1960's LAC c-card for what is was (a "museum piece" he said).

I loved Cairns and would enjoy going back to do a Coral Sea liveaboard or the GBR again. My kind of town- bigger than Avalon, but small and cozy.

Dr. Bill

Travelnsj:
I have always gone in Late November or early December. That is when the water is warming up and before the heat and humidity begins. I have heard Jan and Feb can be very hot and humid.

You know Cairns is a jumping off point for the Reef. Not much to do there, a lot of dive operations take you out (for the day) to Green Island which is just OK diving.

Are you going out on a liveaboard or Cruise?

We're planning a 4 or 5 day liveaboard, hopefully to the outer areas. Humidity doesn't bother me, I really would like to know when the vis is better, and when the chances are better for seeing some real exciting stuff

I think you're better off in April as Feb is cyclone season. Summer (Dec - Feb) is the wet season and off season in Cairns so while things might be cheaper you run the risk of possible cyclones and crappy weather. I'm sorry I can't help you with when viz is better, but I would have thought it would be better in the dry season as there is less run off?

Mel

Pamdiv:
We're planning a 4 or 5 day liveaboard, hopefully to the outer areas. Humidity doesn't bother me, I really would like to know when the vis is better, and when the chances are better for seeing some real exciting stuff

Are you are looking to do the Mike Ball to the Cod Hole? I have done that boat before it is small. But their service is Excellent.

Vis is probably going to be the best between April thru November. I have been to the Good Barrier reef 4 times. But i do love Australia. I have always gone in November or December. That is before the rains start and the water is getting warmer and they are calm. I have always found the Vis to be between 40' (mostly in the southern GB) to 100' especially in the Northern part.

I do not know when the best time for the exciting stuff. I have had a few excellent dives during the period i go. I find the Topography to be as great as the diving. One of my favorite places is Heron Island.

If you are into Sushi i found an excellent place in Cairns and will give you the address if you want.

I went in March of 2001 and had no problem with weather... just a little rain here and there but nothing to stop onew from diving!

Dr. Bill

gidday Pam. regarding your trip to Cairns for a bit of diving , I think there are several things to consider. Firstly in Feb the weather is absolutely stinkin hot.. I know because I am in it right now. The benefits however are that there are lots of standby rates with great prices in febuary. At the moment on the street today you could save as much as 3-400$ on mike ball, nimrod, spirit and taka. April will become busy again with easter and school holidays but it will be a bit cooler, Regards A.J any more questions I am happy to answer. P.S I am a Cairns Resident since 1969
Pamdiv:
Hey there all you Aussies Down Under!
I am planning a trip to Cairns sometime early 2006 and would like to know when is the diving better, in Feb? or in April? Included in this trip will be a 3 or 4 day liveaboard trip and I would like some recommendations on a good dive op in the Cairns area. Thanks to all who help and I can't wait to get there!
Pam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom