Cairns in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidday Mate, To try and help you have a successfull holiday out here in June there are a couple of things I could suggest. Firstly the list of web sites for liveaboards out of Cairns goes like this. Check out www.prodive.com.au 3day 2 night, www.reeftrip.com.au for reef encounter, also www.spiritof freedom.com.au, www.taka.com.au and finally www.cdc.com.au. All these companies I believe have pricing reflective of the trip, reef sites and boat quality. I believe they all have great staff, great food and excellent service. Permits is the difference as you will see Mike Ball, Taka, Spirit are all top end products taking you to premiem locations. Reef Encounter is incase you have kids and snorkelling is also part of the itinery. Pro Dive has best sites out of Cairns and I did my dive Course with them in 1982. Anything else I can help with please call. Andrew

Andrew Jones:
Gidday Mate, To try and help you have a successfull holiday out here in June there are a couple of things I could suggest. Firstly the list of web sites for liveaboards out of Cairns goes like this. Check out www.prodive.com.au 3day 2 night, www.reeftrip.com.au for reef encounter, also www.spiritof freedom.com.au, www.taka.com.au and finally www.cdc.com.au. All these companies I believe have pricing reflective of the trip, reef sites and boat quality. I believe they all have great staff, great food and excellent service. Permits is the difference as you will see Mike Ball, Taka, Spirit are all top end products taking you to premiem locations. Reef Encounter is incase you have kids and snorkelling is also part of the itinery. Pro Dive has best sites out of Cairns and I did my dive Course with them in 1982. Anything else I can help with please call. Andrew

How much difference is there beween the reefs and marine life that you see on a day trip out of Carins and the 3 day live aboard?

Thanks for all of the good info.

Steve Miller:
How much difference is there beween the reefs and marine life that you see on a day trip out of Carins and the 3 day live aboard?

Thanks for all of the good info.

One of the most pronounced differences is the visibility, out of Cairns the vis would be 25 to 45, out on the outer or more northernly sites 60 to 100+. Also on the farther north the incidence of diversity of marine life widens. For instance at Osprey there was more incidence of more species of butterflies, angels, triggers, schools of small fish (like fussliers) and sharks. At Lizard Island area the corals near the surface are full of color and not so as you travel south. At Osprey we saw flashlight fish on night dives and more crinoids - feather stars while this was not true on Agincourt reefs near Cairns, although we saw schooling Jacks at Steves' Bommie. The Minke whales were mainly located near Lizard Island and north on our trip as well.

If you can go for a three day trip north out of Cairns.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

My wife and I were in Cairns the last week of June/first couple of July last year. Dove for a week on the Tusa Spirit of Freedom. Had a great time. You can find water temp info in my old trip report. Also suggest doing the Coral Sea trip, much better vis and diving! Also note that if you want to risk it a bit you can save alot of money booking in Cairns, we didn't, but there was plenty of space on the boat and was the following week as well as we toured Cairns after the trip and the Tusa shop was near our hotel and we checked it out a couple of times.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t66286-.html

Kev

gidday mate,

Sorry i havent touched base with you for a while..... just did a 11 day motorcycle safari from cairns to alice springs.

An update for you on standbys for next month on the 3 main dive operators to cod hole and coral sea:

Mike Ball

3 day/3 night cod hole fly dive $895.00 twin bunk ocean views 12 dives
4day osprey reef 14 dives $995.00 twin

Taka Dive

5 day osprey plus gear hire $950.00 quad share
4 day cod hole with free gear hire $650.00 quad

Spirit of Freedom

3 day $795.00 free gear hire save $320.00
4 day $995.00 free gear hire save $400.00

Check there web sites and i think you will find this pricing is outstanding..... can it get any better? Absolutely because divers today were treated to 30 meters plus on visability.

Time for the free plug... you heard it first at www.experiencecairns.com.au where the web sites not pretty but the advice is the best

Fromy my experiences in Port Douglas (about 1 hr drive north of Cairns) water temps were about 24 - 26 degrees C in june.

Dude u need to dive with the sprirt of freedom, it was awesome i just got back on the 29th and it was the best experinece ever. The crew is so cool and ROB the chef is awesome. All you do is sleep eat dive for the WHOLE TIME u eat like 4 times a day and you have 2!!!!!!!!! breakfasts. If you do go say zach says hi to Cat for me ( shes real pretty
)

Spirit of Freedom is a great trip - the 7 day Cod Hole and Coral Sea package is magnificent - lots of great feedback from clients we've booked on this trip. Let us know exactly when you're visiting and we'll advise on standby availability. Keep in mind that June is the start of Whale season which is an exceptional experience. Snorkelling eye to eye with Dwarf Minke whales is as good as it gets out there.
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom