Cairns internships for DM/DCon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcd16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last trip I had to Cairns, I came across a program that seemed to claim it was a pure work-off program. In exchange for dives and dive con training, you slaved away on the boat for a period of time and only paid for snorkel gear. Ask for more info and find out that the program sure does include the work-off bit... but also between 1000-2000 in extraneous fees.

Does anyone know of another program out there -- preferably in that area -- although I'm open to anywhere in OZ. I'd prefer to pay less and work more -- I want the experience or I would have just stayed home and done a course for 500.

Thanks,
J

None in Cairns. You have to remember that Workplace Health and Safety regulations means you cant be used as a dive pro unless you are DM / DCon qualified with insurance, so to work it off there is not really much you can do for a compnay except for slave work.
Its worthless.
You are better paying for the course doing an IDC and getting paid work. Tough, but thats the reality of it.
Companies out to make money not give away courses, so they suck travellers in. Your memberships and books will cost around $500 anyway, and insurance wil be about the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom