Cajun Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do good Cajuns do when the weather's not right for diving? Make a GUMBO :rofl3::banana::bounce3:

Key Largo Gumbo.jpg

First you make a roux...

But the good news is that we'll be on the afternoon dive boat with Rainbow Reef :D

Where is the Crawfish?

What do good Cajuns do when the weather's not right for diving? Make a GUMBO :rofl3::banana::bounce3:

View attachment 159942

First you make a roux...

But the good news is that we'll be on the afternoon dive boat with Rainbow Reef :D

Molasses Reef

We had two GREAT dives this afternoon! The skies parted and the wind completely settled. It was the perfect scenario for a dive trip :D

Capt. Bill took us over to Molasses Reef. We started at "Hole in the Wall". I remembered seeing a friendly turtle here before, and was hoping to see one this year. No luck with the turtle, but we saw lots of other interesting stuff.

File Fish.jpgTarpon.jpg

After "Hole in the Wall", we motored over to Permit Ledge to try our luck. Here is where I witnessed something I have never seen before while diving...two golden tail moray eels engaged in mortal combat! I was hanging around taking pictures of a beautiful little golden tail when a second eel charged in and attacked it! They went round and round attacking and biting each other and then took the battle inside/under the coral head. We couldn't see what was happening, but one of them was poking his head out trying to get away and getting pulled back inside. Of course, I thought I was videoing the whole thing, but guess what? MISSED IT! Here is the photo I was taking before the attack:

PICT0058.jpg

Here are a couple of additional shots I snapped during the dive:

PICT0027.jpgSafety in Numbers.jpgPICT0051.jpg

I'm finding lots of lobster...the mini-season next week should be great :D

Well, I figured out why I missed the video of the two eels engaged in mortal combat...I pushed the "photo" button instead of the "video" button :eyebrow::no::idk:

But here's the proof that there were two of them:
Two Morays.jpg

Today we had a good old-fashioned gully washer...REALLY bad weather. Regardless, we went on two morning boat dives. I can't say they were the best dives we've ever done, but we did manage to have a great time. Our new dive buddies (who are making their first ever dive trip this week) saw their first SHARK...a nurse shark! It was about a seven footer :D

Our ten-year old buddy passed his open water exam this morning with instructor Drake at Rainbow Reef! Now tomorrow it's off to the swimming pool and then his first dip in the ocean. We are praying for great weather like we had yesterday, but if it doesn't work out that way...the gumbo is prepared and ready to eat :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Here's a quick video clip I shot at the Benwood Wreck. What appears to be a fish "kiss" is actually competitive behavior...a dominance issue!

[video=youtube_share;wJpscwzWYxU]http://youtu.be/wJpscwzWYxU[/video]

Do you guys allow non-Cajuns to attend this trip? My parents have lived in Lafayette for 20+ years. Having diving and gumbo in the same trip would be awesome!! I am addicted to both. Unfortunately, there is only one place to get gumbo up here and it is mediocre at best.

Do you guys allow non-Cajuns to attend this trip? My parents have lived in Lafayette for 20+ years. Having diving and gumbo in the same trip would be awesome!! I am addicted to both. Unfortunately, there is only one place to get gumbo up here and it is mediocre at best.

Absolutely not...you have to be adopted first :wink:

Fortunately, anyone with parents who have lived in the same city as us for the past 20 years easily qualifies for adoption :D

Send me your contact information and I'll be glad to let you know when we plan the "next" Cajun Invasion...

Absolutely not...you have to be adopted first :wink:

Fortunately, anyone with parents who have lived in the same city as us for the past 20 years easily qualifies for adoption :D

Send me your contact information and I'll be glad to let you know when we plan the "next" Cajun Invasion...

I actually lived there and went to USL for a semester back in the day. Then, I lived in Youngsville for a year and when Rita hit and we moved back here. My wife was not a fan of hurricanes OR living that close to my parents!!

Sounds like we would get along just fine...she has good judgement :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom