Cajun Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you are having a good time in spite of the wind/rain

Glad you are having a good time in spite of the wind/rain

It takes more than a little rain (OR A HUGE RAIN!!!) to keep us down. Instead of diving, we devoted all of our attention to preparing our feast. We brought a taste of South Louisiana to South Florida. The Keys may never be the same :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Rainbow Reef Dive Center Course Director Bill Findley and his wife Bridget came over and joined us. A great time was had by all. We have seriously fallen in love with Key Largo - LOVE THIS PLACE!

154438_10151738204884204_163447722_n.jpg

Now that is some fine lookin vittles.
It takes more than a little rain (OR A HUGE RAIN!!!) to keep us down. Instead of diving, we devoted all of our attention to preparing our feast. We brought a taste of South Louisiana to South Florida. The Keys may never be the same :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Rainbow Reef Dive Center Course Director Bill Findley and his wife Bridget came over and joined us. A great time was had by all. We have seriously fallen in love with Key Largo - LOVE THIS PLACE!

154438_10151738204884204_163447722_n.jpg

It's another STORMY morning in Key Largo. Rainbow Reef has not cancelled the dives for this morning, but we are holding off for an additional hour waiting for this storm to move through. On the back side of the storm, there seems to be a silver lining of sunshine and clear skies...we could sure use some :shakehead:

But we have no complaints. There's nothing ANYBODY can do about the weather. The dive shop is doing the absolute best they can with the hand we are dealt. The skies are clearing a bit as I type, so hopefully the boat will be heading out very soon :D

And there's always leftover gumbo waiting for us...

---------- Post added July 18th, 2013 at 06:37 PM ----------

Well, we did manage to get in FOUR dives today. We started with the Spiegel Grove - it was amazing as usual. We descended on the starboard bow line and swam around the forward deck and over to the new flag. (We learned today that the flag is changed every July 4th) Surface conditions were challenging at best, so I didn't touch my camera all day. I was the guide for our group, and successfully managed to lose the boat on EVERY dive :banghead:

Our second dive was Christmas Tree Cave. We saw tons of fish darting in and feeding on the bait ball of minnows hanging around the area. After a brief turn-around, we headed back out for two afternoon dives.

First was a new (to me) location called Logan's Run. It was somewhat protected from the nagging currents...it was like a washing machine out there :eyebrow: After going through most of the dive in a very uneventful manner, the last 15 minutes turned into a rush of excitement. First, a HUGE free-swimming green moray eel made his appearance in our midst. He seemed in no rush to leave as he leisurely swam around us and finally made his way to a nearby reef. He had just disappeared when a small hawksbill turtle came floating by. As we rounded the final bend on our way back to the dive boat, a rather large nurse shark came swimming out right in front of us - what a great sighting!

By the time we got to dive #4 at North Star, the Cajuns were pretty wiped out :( We made it through, but conditions had deteriorated quite a bit. After staying loaded up with seasick medication all day, I was quite happy when the Tropical Adventure headed toward land...even though the skies were black and it was clearly storming on land. Fortunately, by the time we reached the dock the rainstorm was just about over.

So we made it through another day...still storming :amazed: Parts of Miami flooded today - areas in Key Largo have a bit of standing water as well. We are keeping up a brave front, but even the Cajuns are beginning to get frustrated with this awful weather. Two more days of diving left - there's still hope, even if it's dim...

Last edited:
We had two more fantastic dives this morning. The seas were a little sporty - they called it 2 - 4 ft. seas. I think by the time we came up after the second dive, the seas had settled just a bit. At last...NO RAIN :D:D:D It's amazing how consistent ugly weather can affect your frame of mind :(

So today I saw comething for the VERY FIRST TIME in my scuba diving history...a loggerhead turtle. And not just ANY loggerhead turtle...he was a very impressively large loggerhead turtle!

Here's the video our dive buddy shot:

(oops...doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to figure it out when I get home)

I was so excited I had to give him a round of applause :wink:

Diva Clapping.jpg

We've got one more day to go...hoping for the best!

Last edited:
Now that is some fine lookin vittles.

Come join us next June and we'll share :wink:

---------- Post added July 20th, 2013 at 08:05 PM ----------

We finished up the Invasion today with two really good dives. First we visited Snapper Ledge and then we concluded with Logan's Run (North) We spotted some really neat stuff including a few moray eels, a couple of turtles and some VERY interesting fish behavior.

I am packing up for the LOOOOOONG drive home and don't have time to upload any pictures/video. Once we get home I'll have time to put everything together and make a "Cajun Invasion" movie :D

I would like to extend our gratitude to the staff of Rainbow Reef Dive Center. What a great crew! They have all become like kids to me...I feel as if I'm leaving my family :depressed: I will sincerely miss each and every one of them and can't wait to come back - soon!

More later...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom