Calipso Dive Centre – Volunteer Project with CFORCE Coral Restauration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last year a project was launched in the Tayrona National Park with the aim of restoring and conserving the degraded areas of coral reef along the Caribbean coast. Based in the centre of the national park, in Gayraca bay, a ‘mid-water coral nursery’ has been constructed, where upon many fragments of coral are being grown in a safe and nutrient-rich environment safe from the reaches of predators and protected from the occasional destructive actions of fellow scuba divers.
Coral grows incredibly slowly, and there is a growing problem worldwide (due to many factors, including climate change and the impact of humans on the environment) with reef degradation. For this reason we are growing these corals until they are at a suitable enough size to be replanted at degraded areas of the reef.
I have been in Taganga, working at Calipso Dive Centre, where the foundation is based, for almost 3 months now. Since then I have learned a magnificent amount of information, from corals and restauration techniques, to increased diving abilities, first-aid knowledge, knowledge of surrounding areas such as the mountain town Minca - where I worked with local children as another branch of the C-Force foundation – and a greater knowledge of the Colombian people.
I was welcomed warmly to the Calipso family, and have enjoyed every aspect of my stay here. All members of the staff are friendly and accommodating and try to make your time here – for however long or short – as comfortable as possible. Whether you are interested in just diving for a day and learning the bare minimum necessary, or whether you intend on completing a full course and obtaining or upgrading your certification level, the instructors are all divers and teachers of the highest quality, and utmost patience.
Calipso also offers an exclusive product of the diving safari to Tayrona National Park, which is an incredible experience which the majority of people miss. The safari leaves every week and goes to Gairaca bay, where the coral nursery is situated, and lasts for 3 days. In the completely vacated bay, where tourists do not pass, the Calipso divers go and stay on the Playa del Amor, sleeping in hammocks and enjoying the paradise in which they are surrounded. Dives are launched from the beach or from the boat in nearby locations in dive sites unaffected by pollution, both from contaminants or other divers. As a result the corals are in much better condition and the marine life is in abundance. Even for snorkelling and relaxing on the white sand beach, it is an experience that I have been lucky enough to appreciate so much during my time here.
If you are interested in volunteering for the conservation project and finding out what it could offer to you, or in diving with Calipso either here near Taganga or on the safari in Tayrona Park, please do not hesitate to contact us in any way you prefer, either via the website www.calipsodivecentre.com.co or email nufar.charuvi@cforcefoundation.org or roberdive@hotmail.com. I highly recommend the experience, my time here has been one that I will never forget, and still hope will not come to an end soon. If interested in diving then also please do not hesitate to contact Calipso with any questions or doubts.
For some of the best diving in the world for some of the lowest prices, Taganga is the perfect place to enjoy beautiful dives in crystal clear waters, and with Calipso a friendly welcoming staff will ensure that you enjoy every moment of your trip.

Richard Kemeny

Back
Top Bottom