Call me nosy...but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our trip a week ago, my wife and I left $2 flip flops, an old T-shirt each, and her old running shorts in the truck between dives with no issues. But after the first dive of each day, I just left my wetsuit and booties on, with the wetsuit unzipped to my waist. I found that perfectly comfortable, and much easier than taking the wetsuit on and off every hour.

James

What do you wear under the drysuit in a place like Bonaire? Also, do you get hot while on the surface gearing up?

I wear an ultra-thin layer of "Capilene" fleece tops and bottoms. About the weight of a t-shirt. Really just to keep suit squeeze off.

As to temp on the surface? A tropical drysuit is actually COOLER than a full-length wetsuit, as it is "breathable" sort of like Goretex. It's also easier to don/doff than a wetsuit... and is never wet/cold/clammy. I'm pictured here napping after lunch before a dive on the Hilma Hooker in April. Plenty comfortable simply with the top of the suit unzipped and peeled off to the waist. Note those are "wet" boots, as the tropical suit has ankle seals as opposed to built in boots.

WarmDry.jpg

DUI doesn't have an underwear that is thin enough to use instead of a third party underwear? Do you feel sweaty or palmy with the underwear you us under the drysuit while underwater?

I wear an ultra-thin layer of "Capilene" fleece tops and bottoms. About the weight of a t-shirt. Really just to keep suit squeeze off.

As to temp on the surface? A tropical drysuit is actually COOLER than a full-length wetsuit, as it is "breathable" sort of like Goretex. It's also easier to don/doff than a wetsuit... and is never wet/cold/clammy. I'm pictured here napping after lunch before a dive on the Hilma Hooker in April. Plenty comfortable simply with the top of the suit unzipped and peeled off to the waist. Note those are "wet" boots, as the tropical suit has ankle seals as opposed to built in boots.

WarmDry.jpg

DUI has an ultralight fleece "stretch liner" they sell that I also use, but it is a one-piece suit, and the two-piece top and bottom is just easier to deal with. The stretch liner is a bit warmer as well, perfect for cooler warm water (like Red Sea or Hawaii) if that makes any sense.

Drysuit in the tropics, Hmmmm

For me one of the joys of warm water diving is not needing a drysuit and all that damn lead.

Tropical drysuit = less lead than with a wetsuit. With a BP and a single AL80 I only need 4lbs of lead in my DUI 30/30.

yea yea, there's always someone who needs less weight or less heat when diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom