Call to Action - Keep our State Parks and Beaches open!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over 200 state parks have been threatened with closures in Governor Schwarzenegger's budget proposal. Closed means closed....no access, period.

A number of these closures affect dive sites in LA, Ventura, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Monterey....including Leo Carillo and Point Lobos (probably many others that I don't know since I just quickly looked over the list and also don't know the names of all state parks that have dive sites).

We can do something. Go to the site below, fill out your information, specifically mention which parks you are most concerned about (in the title and the body), revise the letter if you want to add anything....don't let our parks get closed.

Take Action: Don't Close Our State Parks!

Fill out your address and it will automatically be sent to the appropriate legislators!

For a full list of proposed park closures, check it out HERE.

Last year, there was a proposal to close 48 state parks....because of public outcry, it was prevented. This year, 200 parks are being threatened with closure....let's not let that happen!

Today the Legislature's Budget Conference Committee will hear public testimony on the proposal to eliminate state funding and close 220 of our parks. I'd like to see 500 e-mails there before noon today!

If you want to do more:

1. Call your state legislators.

2. Join the Save Our State Parks campaign, being run by the California State Parks Foundation (same site as above).

3. Donate any amount to that campaign (same site as above).

My understanding was that closed meant no public support (no bathrooms or supported/upkept bathrooms) not no access. It sucks either way.

Calling and writing a personal letter to you State Assembly person and your State Senator will have a much greater impact than signing up on a website and emailing a form letter.

This not to say that signing up and adding your voice to the website is useless, far from it. I'm just saying that a call/letter from a constituent has a much greater impact.

I signed up and I called both Assembly Member Anthony Adams and State Senator Robert Huff.

Find yours here State of California

I also asked what "closed" means....I thought maybe it was that they wouldn't be charging an entrance fee, and thus the facilities and maintenance would be gone....but I was told that closed means closed (no access of any kind).

The former would be better than the latter, but I prefer my parks open and nice.

Thanks Nicole!

You know, it really irritates me that the state legislators in California are the highest paid in the nation, while of course doing the worse job in the nation by bankrupting the state, they get extravagant perks such as spending allowances, benefits, taxpayer paid cars, gas paid for by us, trips everywhere for any BS reason they can scam up, and when the bill comes due for their mismanagement, its not cut their own over paid salaries. its not trim their own staff. Its not roll-back the explosive growth in state government workers that has occurred over the past 5 years. It always comes down to the threat of cutting off OUR access to public services. Threatening to cut off OUR use of public spaces. Cutting spending for OUR children (come on like any of these idiots send their kids to public schooling, lol.) All in what seems to me to be a scare tactic to get us to agree to let them tax us even more so they can continue their extravagant spending! I mean we already are tops in taxation in the country, worst business climate in the nation, etc. Ugh.

I agree with Dave. Nothing scares these people more than a voter revolt threatening their cushy lifestyle. Call them all. Don't let them hear the end of it.

Even better. Next election DO NOT vote for ANY incumbent. How can any of them honestly say they have performed their duties to this state.

/rant

(finding my happy place)

This LIBERAL has a question regarding Leo Carillo...the campground and general area is a state park, but is the beach itself LA County? The LGs are LA County. Might the county keep the beach open even if the park is closed?? Not my favorite dive spot, but it is a fabulous beach.

This state has fundamental problems that go well beyond conservative versus liberal issues so let's keep the political commentary to a minimum please.

This LIBERAL has a question regarding Leo Carillo...the campground and general area is a state park, but is the beach itself LA County? The LGs are LA County. Might the county keep the beach open even if the park is closed?? Not my favorite dive spot, but it is a fabulous beach.

Robert, my understanding is that the beach above the mean high water mark is considered state property and would be closed to access. You could theoretically still walk along the beach below the mean high water mark and not be trespassing, but I don't know how realistic that is for Leo.

Leo is one of my favorite spots for diving/beach camping in Malibu, and this really bums me out. I guess I'll finally have to move to Hawaii.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Politics removed
If you want to debate politics,try to find your way to the Pub.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom