Called dive in low Viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I come off as a bit of a finger pointer so take this post as a grain of sand.
You seem to be in the blame game, Trip was too long and made you sick, the water was green, someone ran out of air.
Bottom line you were having a bad trip and not having FUN, the group disappeared and you called the dive, as you should. It should have been an easy call, as you did not call any one else dive. The only problem I see is I am how back on this dam boat and I am sick again.

I'm not trying to finger point I'm a relatively new diver and need to know if I was incorrect or could have done something different, or is this something to expect in the future. These things that happened on one dive caused a lot of anxiety which is a not a good environment to dive in

Because to be honest had this been earlier in my dive experience I wouldn't do it again, I don't like to be needlessly stressed

Last edited:
Research diving ruleAny diver can call yhe dive at any time for any reason. Accidents are often a cascade of events that could have been prevented if caught early enough. You did fine

You did good! I did same years ago in the keys. Was told viz was good when it actually was zero zero! Lost my wife and daughter within seconds of submerging. Called dive, found daughter but had to search for wifey as she continued trying to clear her ears....located her bubbles and fetched her.

I called that and the second dive and requested our money back due to the viz question I was adamant asking about well before we departed. DS told me to pound dirt. There were only four divers on the boat.

I've never called a dive since and it's been 15 years.....and I've never felt the need to dive the Keys again.

Hello to all I've lurked around here for a while but this is my first substantive post.

So I went out for a wreck dive today in North Carolina which is now my worst dive ever (I have 41 dives). The dive shop I was with underestimated the amount of time to get to the site resulting in almost the entire boat getting sick. Once we get to the destination people buddy up or go with a paid guide which I was going to do.

After stifling vomiting and then getting in the water I went to descend with my guide and the group. However, being a blue water diver (which I had told them prior) I was not prepared for the low viz green water. After moving along the hanging line and then the anchor line my group was gone and I couldn't see them. The viz was so bad I couldn't even see the wreck although I was on top of it.

I did a 360 and finally saw a wisp of a fin and some bubbles and I thought about following what might have been my group. Then I thought nah it's not worth it and I went back up to the boat. Come to find out one group lost two people and another person ran out of air (which I know a person should be monitoring).

I guess my question is should I have stuck it out or went with my intuition and called the dive? Mind you the ride made me so ill I didn't do the second dive nor did I trust the guides to keep track of me

Was I overreacting?
Who were you diving with? I may have been on your boat. We did the Hyde with Aquatic Safari's out of Wilmington yesterday. The vis was the worst I've seen it. We still saw the sand tiger sharks though so it made it worth the trip. We have been to the Hyde many times and could navigate it blind so the visibility wasn't an issue for us.

In hindsight you may think you overreacted, but at the time you felt it was the best call and that is all that matters. You can thumb a dive for any reason at any time.

EDIT: Just saw you were on another boat.

Last edited:
diving can be fun and and amazing and scary and terrifying and even truly dangerous... the only person that knows which on of those it is is you. And the only person you are accountable to is you. i have done dives where i cold not see the gages on my arm and had a blast finding bottles and cups and what not, and i have had dives where i could see 100+ feet that i called for a number of reasons. even if others where upset with me. i am only responsible for myself first. and that takes courage.

Hats off to you.

Who were you diving with? I may have been on your boat. We did the Hyde with Aquatic Safari's out of Wilmington yesterday. The vis was the worst I've seen it. We still saw the sand tiger sharks though so it made it worth the trip. We have been to the Hyde many times and could navigate it blind so the visibility wasn't an issue for us.

In hindsight you may think you overreacted, but at the time you felt it was the best call and that is all that matters. You can thumb a dive for any reason at any time.

EDIT: Just saw you were on another boat.

LOL! You guys were leaving when we got to the Hyde...crazy!!!

diving can be fun and and amazing and scary and terrifying and even truly dangerous... the only person that knows which on of those it is is you. And the only person you are accountable to is you. i have done dives where i cold not see the gages on my arm and had a blast finding bottles and cups and what not, and i have had dives where i could see 100+ feet that i called for a number of reasons. even if others where upset with me. i am only responsible for myself first. and that takes courage.

Hats off to you.

Thank you, I'm going to talk to my instructor about some low viz dives training dives

Thank you, I'm going to talk to my instructor about some low viz dives training dives

On my wreck course as we were practicing laying a guideline (around a few tires and sunken beams not in an overhead environment) our instructor was was frantically digging up silt to make it as murky as possible. I actually had a hard time concentrating as I was laughing so hard.

It was good practice for a possible silt out in a wreck or low visibility in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom