Calling all dorks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the DD's M!,

4C? Did you have an ice axe with you? Surprised your snorkle didn't turn BLUE :cold:

Welcome to the DD's M!,

4C? Did you have an ice axe with you? Surprised your snorkle didn't turn BLUE :cold:

Hmm, a colour-changing snorkel to tell you the water temperature. That's an interesting idea. Maybe we could put a processor in it and LEDs so it lights up in the different colours. Oh, and a speaker: "cold cold cold cold cold" or "I am on the surface" or "why are you taking the other snorkel"

It was August, so there was only a thin layer of frost - hardly worth mucking about with an axe. (j/k It was 30C on the surface.) Also, I was estimating the temperature based on previous experience as my computer failed on my first dive which put me onto my SPG backup. It doesn't have a thermometer.

There's an inlet here with an impressive thermocline at about 40 feet. Even in the summer, you get crystal clear vis when you hit it. You can have 5' vis on the surface, drop to 35', still murky, drop to 40', then BAM - complete clarity. There are parts of this inlet where nobody knows how deep it goes. I remember going to 100' for my deep dive AOW cert and seeing over the edge of a huge crevasse. I couldn't see the bottom.

But yeah, there's a reason I wear a drysuit year-round. The ocean temperatures here are about 7C. You'll never see anyone dive here without at least a 7mm farmer john, 7mm jacket, hood, and gloves. Eventually most people go dry around here. I'm quite intrigued by the concept of diving without an exposure suit. It sounds...novel.

Maybe we could put a processor in it and LEDs so it lights up in the different colours.

Ya' know... this is a bit scary. Just the other day I was down at my local dive shop and we were discussing lighting devices for night dives and good ways to do it... and the idea of small LEDs strung through the snorkel tube came up... I'm beginnin' to think this might have legs... :dork2:

I can see it now... a pink translucent snorkel with ORANGE lights blinking out the word "shovel"...

Lurking dork checking in. I seldomly post outside my local network, it's too much fun over there! No trolls and very little animosity....Now where in the heck did I leave my snorkel???

Hey Land Locked... nice lookin' quarry! I just got out of Haigh Quarry here in Illinois... vis (at spots) was 4 - 8 feet... it was GREAT... temps were fun too... Caribbean warm at the surface (80 deg) and "Great Lakes Warm" at 45 feet (56 deg)...

... ya' just gotta' LOVE quarrys.

Ya' know... this is a bit scary. Just the other day I was down at my local dive shop and we were discussing lighting devices for night dives and good ways to do it... and the idea of small LEDs strung through the snorkel tube came up... I'm beginnin' to think this might have legs... :dork2:

I can see it now... a pink translucent snorkel with ORANGE lights blinking out the word "shovel"...

Those glow necklaces work underwater :wink: You can get them for a pretty reasonable price and put them around your neck, ankles, wrists, gear...um yes I've done this. Looks pretty cool.. glowing divers :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Those glow necklaces work underwater :wink: You can get them for a pretty reasonable price and put them around your neck, ankles, wrists, gear...um yes I've done this. Looks pretty cool.. glowing divers :D

Looks pretty cool, provided they aren't all looking at you trying to fold your fins down...:lotsalove: :D In that case you might not want them on your ankles to attract attention there.......

Looks pretty cool, provided they aren't all looking at you trying to fold your fins down...:lotsalove: :D In that case you might not want them on your ankles to attract attention there.......

I don't know, all the thrashing combined with some underwater music might be a really cool light show :rofl3: Did they ever do the music/light shows at a planetarium near you? I always thought they were cool.

I don't know, all the thrashing combined with some underwater music might be a really cool light show :rofl3: Did they ever do the music/light shows at a planetarium near you? I always thought they were cool.

A show called Lasarium did Pink Floyd at the Griffith Park Observatory in the mid-70's. Dark Side of the Moon rocked! Let's just say the special effects were really special......:crafty: (Can every star look like a comet?) :hippy:

Huh? What happen?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom