Camcorders, Housings and Lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please post details about your video equipment and housing here. Also please describe what does and doesn't work well so others may learn what to use.

Top Dawg System II by light and motion
Sony TRV 33
Wide angle lense
UR/Pro Color correcting filter

I have found the top dawg system to be very flexible--can use quite a large number of cameras.

Bought the system because it contained everything I needed to get started including a carrying case. System included housing, carrying case, two lights with charger, extra o rings, extra lights. With plenty of room for extras in the case (tapes, batteries etc.)

One thing that I initially thought was a drawback was the fact that I would have to mount a color correcting lense on my camera--I was very envious of those gates users who had the flip filters. After using the system for 9 months or so I always mount the red filter which drastically improves color at depth--since I realized I can vary easily remve the red from topside or shallow/sunny shots with my editing program.

Overall I have been ecsatic with the system--and even now as I consider upgrading my camera--I can do so without having to buy an all new housing for it--now if I could just find an excellent sony TRV 950 for cheap.

Any questions feel free to ask :)

Just picked up my new lights and motions stingray II with elite lighting system. mounting a sony dcr trv840 camera. will be getting it wet for the first time this weekend, so i'll write a report on it after i dunk it.

overall first impressions are very good. well made, nice having everything in one case, pull it out assemble it and go diving. kit came with spare o-rings, grease, charger, everything needed to get started.

Just got a used JVC miniDV cam with a JVC housing.

Can't wait to bring it down this weekend :)

Wondering what type of lights i should get.... With a major budget constriction

duckster3d:
Just picked up my new lights and motions stingray II with elite lighting system. mounting a sony dcr trv840 camera. will be getting it wet for the first time this weekend, so i'll write a report on it after i dunk it.

overall first impressions are very good. well made, nice having everything in one case, pull it out assemble it and go diving. kit came with spare o-rings, grease, charger, everything needed to get started.
well i took it out diving and all went well. I managed not to flood it or loose it

Once i figured out how to get camera functions to show up on the monitor back, all went great.

Having a montior back makes videoing so much easier imho. nice to be able to hold system at arms length and see what is in frame. I can still keep an eye on other things around me. like where is my buddy. where am i, is there something else better to take video of/

like my buddy stabbing a flounder with his dive knife.

I think if i had had to keep my face up against the housing to see i would have missed getting it on video wouldn't even have known he was planning on doing it.

My setup

Equinox Pro 6 housing (mechanical)
Sony TRV 950 Camcorder
UL Arms
Two UK Light Cannons for video lights
I have the monitor back for my housing
Wide ANgle lens
Various filters etc.

I have been using this setup for just over two years.

Panasonic AG E7-30 three chip with an Aquavideo housing.

The housing is pretty bulky, all mechanical controls.

My setup...
Sony PC-350
Ocean Images PC Housing with Pro/Alt controls and WA Lens
Ocean Images RB-60 lights with NIMH battery

This is my first video setup so I can't offer any comparison comments. However, I do like the way housing and lights balance out in the water. Anything to steady the shot is a good thing.

I also like the ability to change out the lamps for night dives. Rather than running two 50W lamps I change it to one 20W and one 75W. I use the 20W as my primary dive light and kick on both lamps when I start shooting.

Sony PC-101
Ikelite Housing
Ikelite dual 50w lights

I do like the housing as I can use the monitor rather than a viewfinder. I use an Ikelite housing for my still camera so I am quite comfortable with this video housing.

Just got the video lights and am anxious to try them out. I have a dual battery setup but don't think I'll be diving with both batteries - just too much weight. I dive S Cal quite a bit and it gets a bit dark at depth.

Roz In Phx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom