Camera advice - on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobyjimmie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am getting ready to buy my very first video camera and know very little about them. I would like it to serve dual purpose where it will mostly be used to video tape my son growing up and when I can pry it away from my wife, video some of my UW exploits. I am on somewhat of a budget where I would like to spend in the 500 range for the camera (not including housing, lights etc. because that amount is nothing I understand). Suggestions would be great. Remember I know nothing about these things!

Oh and one other thing, I use a lightcannon for my night diving. Is it feasible to want to use this as my lightsource somewhere down the road as well?

I have never owned a video camera but am looking at the Flip HD. 2 hours of video at hi-def. Pretty cheap Ikelite case. Tiny package. Not going to have all the bells and whistles of a bigger camera but I also wouldn't be devistated if it was damaged/stolen. Whole rig is around $500.

Like I said, no experience with this camera but it is what I am looking at.

Jason

jasoninbtr--the flip is a great recommendation, especially with the parameters he listed in his post.

The benefit to the Flip is they are affordable, HD and they are small enough to throw in your jacket pocket when you are not using them underwater. The housings from ikelite are good to 200ft and are very affordable.

Also bobyjimmie, ikelite has a new HD camera and housing package shipping in November that includes and JVC HD Camera and compact housing for under $500.00! I posted on the board about 3 days ago--check it out.

We have a bracket that will allow your light cannon to adapt to any underwater housing.

Now before everyone out there on board has a heart attack, there are other really great cameras out there for around that $500-$900 range from Sony and Canon but the reason I didn't talk about them is because you had mentioned your price point AND what you were looking to do with your footage.:D

Hope this helps and let me know if I can assist in anyway.

Best regards,

Back
Top Bottom