Camera & Housing advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwade

Contributor
Reaction score
Thunder Bay Ontario, usually found Under the Ice o
# of dives
Hi all,
I'm looking for a quality camera plus housing for an upcoming trip to the Bahamas. Ideally, I'd like to be able to shoot both HD Video and Quality Stills,

product recommendations?
products to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

You do not mention your price range. You also do not mention your photographic experience or what kind of system you are willing to tackle.

For point and shoot systems, you really need to be able to shoot RAW. You also need a strobe. At even modest depths of 70' pretty much the only light that gets down that deep are greens and blues. So if you want to see color, you need to bring your own light which means a strobe.

It seems that about the best point and shoot camera for diving is either the Canon S95 or the Canon G12.

The 4/3 format cameras are interesting. But they are still pretty new and probably have no reached their full potential. The Olympus Pen 3 has a housing.

If you want to go into DSLRs, you are pretty much talking about Canon or Nikon. They make the best DSLRs and they are the only companies that make a full range of quality lenses.

You might want to check out the Backscatter web sight to look at the photographic systems they offer. Even the modest point and shoot systems are pretty pricey. You might want to call them. They have very knowledgeable people on their staff and they can probably give you very good advice.

Your budget and prior experience are both critical parameters. I agree with Pat, do not compromise on the ability to shoot in raw mode.

For a vendor you can also try Optical Ocean.

Camera Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Call Jack and he can help you set up a package.

Backscatter is also a good shop but I am lucky to be close to Jack's storefront, so that's where I go.

If your budget is tight, you can get by without an external strobe. Get a strobe if at all possible, but it's not like you CAN'T take good pictures in clear water with the internal strobe. You just have to get even closer, and be super careful about kicking up debris, and a little luck doesn't hurt either. :) I'd recommend getting a good camera and no strobe as opposed to a lame camera plus lame strobe, if those were the two choices. You can always add the strobe later.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom