Underwater camera set up $7500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve posted on here before .. and have looked until I’m frustrated for a housing for my current camera to the point I almost got taken on eBay .

Going to buy from a reputable shop … probably in February.
We have a trip to the Bahamas planned shortly afterwards and then to Fiji. Wanting to practice in Bahamas before our big trip.

Starting from scratch… new camera, want a nauticam housing .. new everything
Help pick my set up (canon, nikon or Fuji film)
again budget for everything will be $7500

Thanks in advance

Hi there. If interested in Sony system, I am selling a Sony A7C with Nauticam housing. I can also sell the flat port for a 55mm 1.8 lens to just about complete a package. Admittedly, most people prefer the 90mm lens for macro. I like the 55 because it’s so compact. Let me know if interested and happy to provide details.

What kind of camera are you hoping to get? A nice point and shoot, DSLR, or mirrorless? I've bought most of my gear used here on SB or on WP, more than $7500 worth, without any issues. You should be able to get a really nice used DSLR system for $7500. $7500 isn't quite enough for a new mirrorless or DSLR rig without sacrificing something.

What do you intend to do with the camera? Wide angle? Macro? Super macro?

@aport68 , thanks but wanting to really go with Nikon or canon. Looking into camera specs the Nikons are really grabbing my attention.

@MrChen I’m wanting to stay with a mirrorless camera.
Wanting to capture mostly sharks and the vibrant colors of coral, and be able to capture a nudibranch. From what I’ve been reading; I’ll have to have 2 sets of lenses

You might want to reconsider the Sony... Combine the 28-60 with a WWL-1 and a CMC and you can shoot wide and macro on the same dive. The wet lenses form Nauticam really are fantastic. Here's a review from Reef Photo/Video. The A7c is fantastic for stills, medium for video.

@aport68 , thanks but wanting to really go with Nikon or canon. Looking into camera specs the Nikons are really grabbing my attention.

@MrChen I’m wanting to stay with a mirrorless camera.
Wanting to capture mostly sharks and the vibrant colors of coral, and be able to capture a nudibranch. From what I’ve been reading; I’ll have to have 2 sets of lenses

For your price, a mirrorless Oly OM or the Sony A6XXX series are your best bets. I would avoid Canon and Nikon, they keep introducing new camera lines and and then abadoning them. Sony's CEO has stated they are in consumer photography and have no intention of abandoning the APS-C lines and Oly has arisen from the ashes, a true phoenix and M4:3 is their game.

I’ve posted on here before .. and have looked until I’m frustrated for a housing for my current camera to the point I almost got taken on eBay .

We have a trip to the Bahamas planned shortly afterwards and then to Fiji. Wanting to practice in Bahamas before our big trip.

Thanks in advance
Maybe a good idea to wait and see new cameras with global shutter.

I do not think a total budjet of $7,500 is going to get a full frame Alpha with a new global shutter in a Nauticam housing plus two strobes equal to such a rig.

But a OM with two new S220 strobes and a WWL-1 lens and a CMC and some arms might squeak in under including the camera and kit lens. And do fine with sharks and nudibranchs. He did not mention video and this being the photo forum ---.

Flash sync over the entire shutter range, freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much does a kidney go for?

Thanks in advance
Call Reef Photo and talk to them. They give good advice without hard sells, and work with your cost constraints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom