Camera in the way while snorkelling...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I have a Minolta 35mm wet/dry camera that I use while snorkelling. My gripe is that it's always getting in my way! I prefer to keep my hands free so I was thinking I'd take off the long strap and fashion a smaller/shorter one and put it on a caribiner on my belt. Any suggestions on how to do this?

the only problem about going "hands free" it that you don't have a hand on your camera.

I'd make VERY sure my lanyards or straps are extreamly secure. If the strap came loose from your belt or if the camera came loose of the strap it would be very easy not to notice and the next thing you know is your camera is somewhere your not!

I have a custom built harness for my Canon that permits me hands-free scuba diving. Basically I removed the normal strap, and replaced it with a small loop of braided nylon. With the loop, you can hook on various combinations of carabiners, bolt snaps, or other connectors. For scuba, I connect it to a hefty retractor clipped to my BCD. My housing has a second attachment point on the opposite side; I made another nylon loop and clipped it off with a male/female plastic buckle on nylon webbing attached to the opposite side of my BCD. When I want to use the camera I simply pop the plastic buckle on the left side and yank on the retractor on the right side.

Snorkelling's trickier. I keep my camera in my hand, and replace all my scuba clips with a short wrist lanyard. I have never seen anyone snorkel with a camera not in their hands. If you clip it off to your belt, it's going to shift around a lot. You'd have to secure it to your leg or hip in a holster or elastic band, and that'll create a lot of drag and intitial discomfort. I do not forsee that as practical unless the camera is very small; pocketsized.

One thing I've also noticed is that you miss a lot of photo opportunites when your camera is not in-hand and ready to go. Even futzing around for a few seconds can be bad. I've gotten used to disappointment.

Well I was trying to photograph fish and then capture them so the camera was irritating me. If I'm just swimming with the camera I usually hold it tucked to my stomach, which is also where I keep my hands if I'm just swimming and not harassing the fish. An additional annoyance is that the camera floats. I still think it's a good idea to be able to have two hands so maybe if I added a female half of a quick release clip to it and clipped it to my belt that might work?

Gidds:
... maybe if I added a female half of a quick release clip to it and clipped it to my belt that might work?

The clip will give you quick access, but the camera will still be flopping around on your belt. Unless you only want the camera clipped off for short periods of time, you'll want to get it firmly secured somehow. You may wish to play around in a pool with various configurations until you find a suitable solution. Let us know how it goes!

Gidds:
I have a Minolta 35mm wet/dry camera that I use while snorkelling. My gripe is that it's always getting in my way! I prefer to keep my hands free so I was thinking I'd take off the long strap and fashion a smaller/shorter one and put it on a caribiner on my belt. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Check out this guy's solution...

Not me. Saw the pic on the web somewhere. I bet it takes that guy two hours to kit up.

I have a neoprene fanny pack that was designed to hold a walkman while jogging. It works well, just tuck the camera in the pocket. I strap mine around my chest when I use it. Much more streamlined than any clip off thing which is important when freediving.

Back
Top Bottom