Camera mount for gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a question for anyone who made their own camera mount for their gun.

I have a JBL Woody Magnum, and have a few idea, and videos. The best so far is an Eye-bolt threaded through the stock with rubber washers, and a wing nut on a post screw to keep the camera tight on the post.

The main problem I've run into is finding stainles steel screws (home depot / Lowe's only carry Galvanized), and the local store that sells the more dressy / artistic metals only have zinc plated screws. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I only buy stainless from boat supply stores (West Marine) it is marine grade. The stainless you get in a hardware store will almost always be a lesser grade of stainless, and it will create issues for you.

I have two through-bolts with nylon lock-nuts and washers holding a mounting ball on the starboard side of the stock on my Biller. I then mount my camera tray to the ball. So far it works fine:

This footage was shot with the tray on the camera. It's a much more secure connection, and I didn't worry about the camera coming loose.

This footage was with my 1st Generation mount, which was more like what you are proposing. It worked fine, but I fretted over the camera coming loose.

I don't like drilling holes in my gun, it degrades the wood. I use a " C " clamp camera mount. It can be used on most guns and also on a lobster looper too. Easy to put on and easy to take off. Costs about $20 total.

IMG_0024.jpg

It's made from these components, most you can get from Bass Pro Shops or online

IMG_0018.jpg

And here it is on the lobster looper:

IMG_0028.jpg

In Florida it seems everyone carries stainless steel hardware, even Home Depot, try ACE hardware. But if you can't find what you need in stainless, brass is a great second choice.

I don't like drilling holes in my gun, it degrades the wood. I use a " C " clamp camera mount. It can be used on most guns and also on a lobster looper too. Easy to put on and easy to take off. Costs about $20 total.

IMG_0024.jpg

It's made from these components, most you can get from Bass Pro Shops or online

IMG_0018.jpg

And here it is on the lobster looper:

IMG_0028.jpg

I like that set up, and the fact that I wouldn't have to drill holes.. It looks bulky though. How much affect the gun in aiming, and swimming?

I like that set up, and the fact that I wouldn't have to drill holes.. It looks bulky though. How much affect the gun in aiming, and swimming?

Either drilling the mount or using an Aluminum "C" clamp will not weigh nearly as much as the full camera and housing. In both, you'll need to adust to your gun's weight similar to if you added a spare shaft.

If you are thinking of going with the "Hero / Go" camera which is very small, you may want to read more reviews on that camera. Lots of spearo's have changed out from that cam.

I have the Intova IC-600. How does the Aluminum clamp hold up against the salt water though? I've read to use SS only.

.. How does the Aluminum clamp hold up against the salt water though? I've read to use SS only.

The clamp is originally made to hold a rod and reel against an railing post on a boat so it made for salt water. I've had mine for 4 years now and no pitting, but it still needs to be rinsed, no different from rinsing your camera . If you do go with stainless, make sure it's the right type since even some stainless will rust in salt water.

The clamp is originally made to hold a rod and reel against an railing post on a boat so it made for salt water. I've had mine for 4 years now and no pitting, but it still needs to be rinsed, no different from rinsing your camera . If you do go with stainless, make sure it's the right type since even some stainless will rust in salt water.

Is it made out of a specific type of aluminum, or is it just regular aluminum? I checked at a place which carries marine grade metals here, but they didn't haven anything with the screw hold in the top of the C-clamp.

Back
Top Bottom