Camera turns off by itself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I bought my gopro hero 2 in August 2012 and for the first few diving trips it worked like a charm. After about four months and while on a tropical dive trip I started having problems. First the camera no longer seem to fully charge. I get about 3/4 and that is it. In addition, the camera gets into a strange mode that I start it and after a few seconds it shuts down but itself. Everything seems to work for those few seconds.

Here is what I have tried following online theads:
Detach the battery and let the camera de-charge completely. Then reconnect. That seems to fix the issue temporarily and the camera works for a few dives (I only use it diving, 1-2 times a month). Then the problem reappears and the only way to fix this is by redoing this. Since the issue is random, it may start in the middle of a dive.

I am bummed because I invested on all kinds of "features" like the display and red filter and feel like I got a lemon... As a matter of fact I suspect that the issues started with I bought the display (BTW, that is a waste of money as you can hardly see anything in it). My other friends seem to be happy with theirs but the people I know either have the first generation or the Hero 3.

Any similar experiences out there?

Turns out that a firmware update fixes it temporarily... But I am not convinced since I tried it already twice and the problem comes back. I think it is a problem with the camera... I think these cameras are overrated...Time for another camera?

you are one of the few who would think that, to include television professionals. I searched high and low for a camera and nothing compares. there are alternatives though.

you are one of the few who would think that, to include television professionals. I searched high and low for a camera and nothing compares. there are alternatives though.

Hardly used it and had problems just charging the damn thing...may be that is the problem (low use)... Are you talking about the Hero 2 or the more recent releases however? From what I hear they seem to improve with each version

I have 2 hero 3 black editions and they have overheating problem which turns cameras off. I was forced to dig the internet and downgrade my firmware to 3 releases prior with no intent of upgrading firmware ever again.

Every time those guys push out a new release they tweak something which makes camera work extra hot. Not the best situation to be in especially while diving.

90% of your issues are firmware related. Just like upgrading your iphone/ipod/ipad ios ... always screws things up.

Its in warranty, give them a chance to fix it.:)

It sounds like an over-heating issue. On the dive boat, are you keeping it in the shade? I always take a white towel to cover my camera gear so it is never subjected to sun and heat. Also, there are small moisture munchers which can help with condensation inside the housing.

The only times I have had my camcorder shut off suddenly, has been when the battery was dead. Not my GoPro, but my previous camcorder. It could be you have a bad battery... might want to buy another one. I have 3 batteries for my GoPro, so that way I always have an extra with me fully charged, and one back at room charging. I bought a wall charger for that.

Do you know which firmware version you have? The newer versions V198 and V222 have some issues.

Also, have you tried a new battery? I had problems with one of my cameras, early on, and GoPro ended up replacing both the camera and battery.

I just upgraded to the latest firmware. Seems to work but now that you mention it, my battery gets hot when I charge it...interesting point.
As I mentioned today after new firmware, the camera seems to work but will keep an eye on it because I did the same a few months back and it just started acting up again. The worst part is that I could not use it for a cool oil ring dive...

I spent 5 days on Catalina Island last month and shot u/w video w/ my GP3 silver. It worked ok for 2 days and then it did the usual Gopro famous freeze ups. I spoke with a Gopro tech rep and he walked me through another firmware re-boot but it continued freezing. They sent me a RMA # and I sent it back to them for a new camera the other day. I just learned that some major problems were also based on bad Sandisk 32g Micro SD's cards that were under performing. Many owners appear to be switching to Transcend brand 32g micro SD cards as they can run faster than the Sandisk cards.
I found this GoPro Fanatics Forum that might help some to solve some of problems people are having.
Hope it helps

Questions, Problems & Troubleshooting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom