Camera Upgrade Questions: TG-6 to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of your problem is composition, part of it is getting close enough to your subject and part of the problem is lighting placement. I have used gopros for the last six years and had gotten just about all I could out of them.

We just got back from Bonaire where I used a tg-6 for the first time. The first half of the week (10 dives or so) was a VERY steep learning curve. I learned positioning of light, strength of light and distance to subject is critical. It's why I don't use the 120° WAL and use the 81° wet lense. I don't need to get near as close. Plus, I really enjoy shooting small stuff, so I'm not too sure the 120° WAL would work that well for me. I'm afraid a new camera system will not help.

There is a reason that compact cameras are sold as beginner systems. They are smaller, cheaper, and offer limited controls. I am looking at effectively doubling the resolution of the TG-6, along with the ability to change lenses. Larger sensor, more light captured, and more control all improve the quality of an image. That is not to say that a better camera will cure all ills, but you don't see many pro photographers using a compact camera. Just saying.

Pro photographers are using larger cameras because they have the skills to do so - and they have the skills to work around their limitations. A compact camera is smaller and easier to handle than a big ILC rig, which makes it easier to compose shots. A compact camera can shoot at larger apertures, which means you can get away with smaller, lighter, cheaper strobes. A compact camera can, typically, sync with strobes at very high shutter speeds (up to 1/2000s-1/8000s, depending on model), whereas ILCs are limited to 1/160s-1/250s, with some very rare exceptions reaching 1/400s-1/500s - this makes it much easier to shoot into the sun. When shooting macro, a smaller sensor camera does not need as much optical magnification to frame the same subject, producing a greater depth of field. The ability to change lenses also locks you into a single lens for the duration of a dive, or even a day trip if you're on a small boat where opening up the housing to change ports and lenses is risky.

No offense, but looking at the sample shots that you've posted earlier in this thread, you'd get a lot more return on investment if you'd spend the money on an underwater photography class with a seasoned pro, rather than on more hardware.

Thanks for the replies. I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom to edit in post.

You can use the Olympus Workspace which is free and has more features than lightroom.
Also read this thread.

These from a TG5 & TG6. No special lenses just camera and lights.

AVAI PHOTOGRAPHY.jpg

PELAYO.jpg

PIGMY SEA HORSE DOLJO 2.jpg

MANTIS HIDING.jpg

Part of your problem is composition, part of it is getting close enough to your subject and part of the problem is lighting placement. I have used gopros for the last six years and had gotten just about all I could out of them.

We just got back from Bonaire where I used a tg-6 for the first time. The first half of the week (10 dives or so) was a VERY steep learning curve. I learned positioning of light, strength of light and distance to subject is critical. It's why I don't use the 120° WAL and use the 81° wet lense. I don't need to get near as close. Plus, I really enjoy shooting small stuff, so I'm not too sure the 120° WAL would work that well for me. I'm afraid a new camera system will not help.

Yup I got my TG6 after years of using a Go Pro. First few days were not very good results. Had to learn the same about lighting and distance. Now I get better shots. Also the OP's shots look oversaturated on the turtles colour to me

TURTLE BACK DOLJO.jpg

Pro photographers are using larger cameras because they have the skills to do so - and they have the skills to work around their limitations. A compact camera is smaller and easier to handle than a big ILC rig, which makes it easier to compose shots. A compact camera can shoot at larger apertures, which means you can get away with smaller, lighter, cheaper strobes. A compact camera can, typically, sync with strobes at very high shutter speeds (up to 1/2000s-1/8000s, depending on model), whereas ILCs are limited to 1/160s-1/250s, with some very rare exceptions reaching 1/400s-1/500s - this makes it much easier to shoot into the sun. When shooting macro, a smaller sensor camera does not need as much optical magnification to frame the same subject, producing a greater depth of field. The ability to change lenses also locks you into a single lens for the duration of a dive, or even a day trip if you're on a small boat where opening up the housing to change ports and lenses is risky.

No offense, but looking at the sample shots that you've posted earlier in this thread, you'd get a lot more return on investment if you'd spend the money on an underwater photography class with a seasoned pro, rather than on more hardware.

Agree. One of my dive buddies has a great setup that cost thousands of dollars. Then again he understands a lot more about photogrphy than I do. I take my pictures for my vacation memories he takes them as he can get a commercial return if his photos are used. But on same days he will be setup with a lens for wide angle and cannot do the super macro things we see. On on this Whale Shark shot he was setup for Macro.

PAUL CAMERA GEAR.jpg

PAUL & WHALE SHARK.jpg

No offense, but you are not answering the question I asked. I didn't ask if I should upgrade the camera. I asked what I should upgrade to. I was especially interested in hearing from people who have tried the E-PL10 and other larger sensor cameras, and especially if they were TG users prior. Hoag provided some info about his experience with the micro four thirds system which was helpful. I am going to get another camera, it is just unclear which camera I am going to buy. I have taken many thousands of photos, and some I am very happy with. I just can't get them large enough to print, hence the need for a better sensor. These are a small sampling of the photos that I like, but can't print at a size that I would like. 20 to 24 MP camera would most likely allow me to print them. I am leaning towards the Sony A6500 and 6600 cameras now, but need to do some more research on housings and lens options.

Attachments

• _A220054.jpg
    _A220054.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 86
  • P4220464.jpg
    P4220464.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 82
  • P4220454.jpg
    P4220454.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 86
  • P4180167.jpg
    P4180167.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 97
  • P4180132.jpg
    P4180132.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 84
  • P2120295.jpg
    P2120295.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 90
  • PA301013-Enhanced.jpg
    PA301013-Enhanced.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 98
I haven't read this entire string but if no one has suggested the RX100, I will. I use the Mark VA, albeit with two powerful YS-D2 strobes, and it takes fantastic photos. This is just one example (shot in Little Cayman 6 weeks ago)
DSC01269-Edit.jpeg

You are right, many of us didn't answer the question. Please accept my apology. Since you are interested in throwing equipment at a skill problem, I would suggest buying the very best high MP camera you can afford. Then you will need to learn how to use lightroom to fix your lighting issues. But, you didn't ask about how to fix those issues either. Possibly pay someone to post your photos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom