Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi !

I need an advice. I want to buy a digital camera and I'm in dilemma:

a) to buy underwater camera (like Reefmaster or something similar)

or

b) to buy ordinary camera (like Olympus) with underwater enclosure

Feel free to make suggestions (model, type, etc.). The requirements are:
- 50 m
- amateur photography
- not too expensive

MonkSeal

I have a Reefmaster and am quite happy with it although by the time you get the various attachments for it you are still looking at about $500. I have to admit it but I am envious of my dive buddy and his digital when I have shot my 24 pictures and he just keeps on shooting. Hope this helps

Personally ..... I would go the Land Camera/Housing route....It may cost more but I feel that your getting two for the price of one when buying this way ..... the camera can be used underwater or on land .....AND you're going to get great image quality....

Look at the Thread I started yesterday called "Image Quality....."

Today I think you can get that camera (3040) in the mid $300's and an Ikelite housing (to meet your depth requirement of 50 m) for around $800......(Tetra makes a beautiful housing for that depth also….but more money) yes its not the most inexpensive but your getting some quality equipment for the money.

It also depends on how far you want to go with U/W Photography ....

I have the Olyumpus 3040 and a PT010 housing it seems to work great, and the housing only cost around $300. I also have a sea and sea motor marine EX and I believe I get better results with the sea and sea of course I am used to using the sea and sea and I have plenty of strobe power. The digital camera and housing is a good bet.:)

MonkSeal once bubbled...
....Feel free to make suggestions (model, type, etc.). The requirements are:
- 50 m
- amateur photography
- not too expensive

The 50m depth is what will keep you out of the 'not too expensive' range. Are you absolutely sure you'll be taking it that deep? I've had my Oly PT-10 to around 130ft with no problems.

Other than that, the Oly C-4040 or C-4000 and a PT-10 housing would fit your requirements. Both can be had for around $700-750. This set-up will definitely get you better pics than the cheaper film cameras.

Film cameras like Reefmaster or Ikelite Auto35, are cheaper but both will require an external strobe which will add to the cost. Then you have film, developing and printing expenses.

Dee once bubbled...
The 50m depth is what will keep you out of the 'not too expensive' range. Are you absolutely sure you'll be taking it that deep? I've had my Oly PT-10 to around 130ft with no problems.

Well, most of the time 40m is enough but sometimes I plan to take it little bit deeper. Do you think PT-015 (declared 40m) can do few meters more ?

I have a Reefmaster film camera with all the toys to go with it. When I went to digital, it would have been really inexpensive for me to get a Reefmaster digital (all the toys would work), but I just wasn't happy with what I saw. Their film camera is great, but for digital, I think, you would be better off to spend a little more money and get a better camera.

I got the Oly 4040 with PT 10 housing. As Dee said, the housing is not rated for as deep as you want. I think the 5050 with PT 15 goes deeper, but so does the price...

MonkSeal once bubbled...
Well, most of the time 40m is enough but sometimes I plan to take it little bit deeper. Do you think PT-015 (declared 40m) can do few meters more ?

Yes...you would be safe for a few more meters. I wouldn't push it too far or too often but occasionally would work.

I would also recomend land camera and the housing for it. If you have any more questions you can mail me. I'm working in Fotomehanika Ljubljana, so you can write you language.
lep pozdrav Gorazd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom