Can a normal conversion lens (for land use) be used underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gesguerra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi experts. I have a basic camera rig (Olympus point-n-shoot, UW housing with 46mm threaded port for wet lens, strobe), but I've been wanting to add some wide angle photos to my repertoire, and have asked about underwater wide-angle conversion lenses, but they're pretty expensive - even more expensive than my camera and housing combined.

I thought maybe I could use as alternative a regular wide-angle conversion lens (for land use) instead, which is way cheaper and more easily available, but would like to ask if this is even possible?

Are underwater conversion lenses made differently compared with the normal ones for land use? How are they different?

If it's actually possible, I'll probably be fine if there are a few forgivable tradeoffs with using the land-based conversion lens, but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

thanks DonCebu. I already have, but still no replies as well in the other forum as of now.

I guess divers don't scrimp on photography gear budget??? except for myself that is, hehehe.

I would think as long as the lens fits into the underwater housing you will be able to take pictures.

Maybe it is better to ask the question then on a forum dedicated to photography, for example: dpReview

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Duplicate threads merged into the Underwater Photography forum

No. Underwater lenses are designed with air space because water has a 25% refraction rate. (Remember from your open water that things look 25% closer and 33% larger). Underwater lenses are designed to withstand 3-4 atmospheres of pressure or more, and the glass is designed for salt water immersion. An above water lens will probably be ineffective and will corrode or break very quickly. There is always e-bay. I bought an old Sea & Sea wide angle lens designed for a Nikonos V and put it on my Olympus P & S using a step ring and it worked quite decently. I think I paid about $75 on e-bay for it. It did have an issue with vignetting (dark corners) so I had to zoom a tiny bit, but that's the price you pay for going the cheap route. You'll find as you continue shooting underwater that the camera is the least of your expenses. I ended up with a $300 camera, a $200 housing and over $2000 worth of strobes, strobe arms, ttl converter, sync cords, lenses, etc. before it did almost what I wanted. I've since abandoned the camera and housing and transferred the strobes and stuff to a DSLR rig that cost as much as a really nice 7-10 year old used SUV. It's all relative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom