Can anyone identify this J-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mictrik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I wish to know the valves pressure rating and manufacturer. The valve has an HP port, a heavy polished chrome finish and is marked "made in the USA".

Any info would be very much appreciated...

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 62
I believe that is one of the many generic valves that were made by Sherwood-Selpac (now just Sherwood) for many other dive manufacturers. That was before Sherwood sold Scuba gear directly.

Sherwood-Selpac made valves for Dacor, Healthways, White Stag, and others. From the looks of the knob, I think that one might have been sold by White Stag, but I am not sure.

The pressure is not an issue. The valve can handle more than you are planning on using with a yoke style valve.

The service pressure of a valve is determined by the rating of the burst disk, which is replaceable. As a mater of fact the burst disk should always be replaced every few years.

The only problem with this valve is that the burst disk port is just below the reserve and it is in a tight spot. You may only be able to replace the burst disk itself, but may have to reuse the old screw with the single hole in the center. This is barely acceptable, but can be done.

The new plugs have a hex head with three holes that dissipates the escaping air if the burst disk lets go. Also the single release hole on the old plug will allow the little metal disk to be shot out (and I have heard of one report of a small injury).

Since the plug is also the cutter for the burst disk, it should also be replaced with the disk.

So my recommendation is if it is possible to replace the disc, try to have it done. Other wise just have a new disk replaced every few years.

Yes, my concern is the burst disk/plug as it is as you said a single hole design. Removing the burst plug may be a problem as so far it will not budge and I fear that too much pressure with a screw driver may deform the plug to the point that it will need to be drilled out. Are you aware of any 3 hole plugs that would fit the burst port on this type of valve? I used to use this valve with a steel 72 back in the early 80's. I just found the tank & valve in an old shed and dropped of the tank for hydro. I would like to use this valve as it was always smooth and aside from the burst plug it is in great shape.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 77
Yeah, it's mine!!! :D

Hey, I get to have some fun sometimes too!!!!

the K

Still having trouble removing the burst disk screw. Was there a specific screw driver for this? I placed a drop of liquid wrench on it and will let it sit a while before I try again. Does anyone know if the "dip tube" is removable on this valve? I don't want to break it off attempting to remove a fixed piece.

Vinegar. Now that you have introduced an oil, however, I don't think the vinegar will be able to work into the threads where it needs to be. This is assuming the problem is verdigris, which it usually is.

Vinegar. Now that you have introduced an oil, however, I don't think the vinegar will be able to work into the threads where it needs to be. This is assuming the problem is verdigris, which it usually is.

Yes, I thought about and in retrospect should of tried vinegar first. Though I can not see verdigris I must assume since the plug is copper that it may be the culprit seizing the threads. Liquid wrench was closer at hand at the time however. I will try to free it this evening as it has been over a day since I added the liquid wrench.

Does anyone if know if the Dip tube is removable on these valves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom