Can DCS show symptoms later on ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milosusa

Registered
Reaction score
This DCS debate is interesting and I do have couple Q's.
Can DCS show some symptoms later on, like 2 - 3 week after diving or you
feel them immediately ?
And second, can DCS be cured by the time without decompression chamber, if is just
the mild one ( maybe headache, back pain )
milos :14:

milosusa:
feel them immediately ?
DAN 2006 Report Page 40 (pdf 41):
Figure 3.4-5 Indicates that symptom onset was on the order of minutes for malaise, confusion, respiratory trouble, and motor weakness but an hour or more for pain and paresthesia. Median values were reported to minimize the effect of outliers. The median times to AGE, DCS,DCI, and NDR were 0, 1.8, 4.0, and 4.3 hours, respectively.
PDE_Onset_time06.jpg

Some of the older reports show longer times, even up to 48 hours (weak in my mind) but not weeks.
milosusa:
And second, can DCS be cured by the time without decompression chamber, if is just
Simple answer is yes, read on for the BUT. The body is pretty good at recovering or working around an injury (read as: it will create other pathways so you may not notice the problem). BUT, there is NO way to know if this will happen with any case. Some do, some don't.

I see it kinda of like an acute stroke. It can appear to be progressive, due to swelling, edema, etc... But I don't expect it to appear a week later.

milosusa:
feel them immediately ?
From what I have read on this forum and from DAN, it'll show up within hours - if the diver is not into denial, the most common problem. If you have something new 2 weeks later - nope, but see your physician.

It depends. Sub-clinical Dcs, sure - get over it. More severe hits leave bodily damage, tho - and the type of injury incurred can vary.

Really severe hits - nope. Hope you live and walk okay again. Dive safe, call 911 then DAN if hit, call DAN if just concerned, and offer more info for discussion here. :wink:

On my last dive of my holidays in November #16 of the week, (all computer readings were normal depth was about 107 max) about 4 hrs after my dive the "V" at the base of my thumb between the "pointer" finger and the thumb, I had a spot about the size of a 1/2 dollar which became raised and slight burning/tingling feeling. It only lasted a couple of hours. A first I thought I had toched something on my dives (no gloves), but I never do touch anything. I have basically assumed it was "skin bends".

Any thoughts?

Hi milousa,

No, DCI cannot initially manifest 2-3 weeks after the last dive. The signs and symptoms of DCI can last that long and longer in the case where onset actually was much earlier, but overlooked or denied.

Yes, many cases of mild DCI resolve without treatment.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello milousa:

As mentioned, DCS does not manifest itself after about a day. The gas phase has only a limited lifetime in the body and will eventually dissolve.

DCS can resolve without treatment, but where neurological problems are involved, it is a risky proposition to simply “hope for the best.” :no

A century ago, recompression therapy was not known; divers and “sand hogs” simply toughed it out and hoped that the problem would go away. In many cases it did – but definitely not all of them.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Perhaps the kind of thinking represented by the chart above is a reason my hit was misdiagnosed as "backache" by a resident island physician (from Chicago). Fifteen minutes on the surface, I collapsed with stomach pain, back pain and severe weakness on the right side. I told the captain to phone in ahead of our arrival, eg, that a diver had the bends. The physician responded that my symptoms arrived too quickly and I likely had a back problem. A call to Miami returned an entirely different opinion. This guess, cum misdiagnosis, resulted a delay in treatment but eventually was followed by 5 days at Miami Mercy undergoing hyperbaric oxygen treatments, day after day in the chamber and some therapy, not to mention being fed stuff (called meals) that would make a dog puke. After the conclusion of treatment, I walked with a cane. Two years for 95% recovery. To relieve numbness (oh, yeah, parathesia) and extreme coldness in the limbs, I plunged my feet or my whole body into hot water. I exercised even when my whole body would shake with a slight effort. I ran in sand, etc, etc. That's only the half of it. I took a range of supplements with anti inflammatory and other properties. On cold, winter days, my right leg remembers.

pescador775:
Perhaps the kind of thinking represented by the chart above is a reason my hit was misdiagnosed as "backache" by a resident island physician (from Chicago). Fifteen minutes on the surface, I collapsed with stomach pain, back pain and severe weakness on the right side. I told the captain to phone in ahead of our arrival, eg, that a diver had the bends. The physician responded that my symptoms arrived too quickly and I likely had a back problem. A call to Miami returned an entirely different opinion. This guess, cum misdiagnosis, resulted a delay in treatment but eventually was followed by 5 days at Miami Mercy undergoing hyperbaric oxygen treatments, day after day in the chamber and some therapy, not to mention being fed stuff (called meals) that would make a dog puke. After the conclusion of treatment, I walked with a cane. Two years for 95% recovery. To relieve numbness (oh, yeah, parathesia) and extreme coldness in the limbs, I plunged my feet or my whole body into hot water. I exercised even when my whole body would shake with a slight effort. I ran in sand, etc, etc. That's only the half of it. I took a range of supplements with anti inflammatory and other properties. On cold, winter days, my right leg remembers.
I'll look forward to the Doctor's comments. I wonder if you'd like to share the "how it happend" story in Accident & Incedents" forum...?

Or do you have a report here on SB arlready? Got a link...?

Back
Top Bottom