Can I get some info on this tank? Thanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anj1204

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone on here have any information on this tank that they could share?
Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Resized_20170807_081948.jpeg
    Resized_20170807_081948.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 113
  • Resized_20170807_082005.jpeg
    Resized_20170807_082005.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 95
Looks like a PST steel. Without measurements, can't suggest size.
They made a good tank, though there were some issues that others can chime in on.
Unusual that it obtained "+" certification for 2017 after two previous certs to working pressure only.
So 2250 + 10%.
Can't see the original hydro from your photos, unless it was that 1979 mark, but that should have been to "+" as well if it was the mfr's mark.

Just my guess frm pics. I may be wrong.

2250 psi points to a steel 72 if it is 25 inches long without valve. nice size for shore diving and weighs around 28lbs empty with a valve. can fit about 86cf in with an overfill to 3000. roughly neutral when empty in salt water. i would spend the money to get a convertible valve for it.

Steel LP72 2250psi tank spec

Does anyone on here have any information on this tank that they could share?
Thanks so much.

Hello Anj

Yes, that's probably a PST LP72. I have a bunch of them. They are nice, smaller cylinders, and I use them the same way most people use AL80s.

Unusual that it obtained "+" certification for 2017 after two previous certs to working pressure only.
So 2250 + 10%.

There are two local (to me) hydro shops that will + rate PST LP72s. Whether they were previously + rated is immaterial.

Can't see the original hydro from your photos, unless it was that 1979 mark, but that should have been to "+" as well if it was the mfr's mark.

The 1979 date with the circle-CL hallmark would be the original hydro date. There is a + by it, though it is faint and a little off to the right. These cylinders were in production until about 1980 so this would be a newer one.

I like these cylinders but they do have several drawbacks:

1) Like any steel cylinder, they will typically require tumbling or similar internal cleaning to remove accumulated corrosion every few years, and are more easily damaged by wet fills than aluminum cylinders.

2) I've heard reports that some dive shops in Florida will not fill them, usually because they have a shop policy that states that they will not fill any pre-1990 cylinders. I don't have any trouble here (Minnesota), and haven't heard of problems in any other location. There is nothing inherently unsafe about these cylinders, and they'll outlast their owners if cared for.

3) I've had problems with short fills, either because the dive shop didn't adjust for the + rating, or because they were filled hot.

4) They are 6.9" diameter and so if you have racks, cam bands, etc., that are set for 7.25", you may find that frustrating.

Otherwise, they're great, approximately neutral when empty, lighter than an AL80. My "cylinder fleet" is made up of LP72s and HP120s, and I use LP72s any time I know the dive won't require the extra capacity of a 120.

That is great information. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer back.
Alan

It also looks to me to be a "steel 72" but I (we) can't be certain without knowing the dimensions. I have five of the 72s and two that are shorter and I think they are about 53 cu/ft. I have dove with one of these and with someone using an AL80 and our air always lasted about the same but you need to make sure they fill it to 2475. I put the next higher-rated burst disc in mine and fill them to about 2650 and that gives me about 76 cu/ft.

To me the odd thing in your pictures is that the lettering stamped onto the tank looks uneven, including the most recent hydro date. This probably means nothing but it is peculiar. Also, I can see the words "bad o" in one picture which hopefully just meant "bad O-Ring." :wink:

Pst manufactured LP 72, April of 1979, in Milwaukee Wi. Certifed by Cochran labs in house at Pst on initial testing. Rated volume of 72.1 cuft at 2475 psi...( 2250 + 10%).

My Pst lp 72's run about -5.5 filled and -1 to 0 empty.

26 lbs without valve, 6.9" diameter. Tank factor is 2.9

Great tanks, even better doubled imo!! Love em for 60' or less shore entrys.

Bubs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom