Can I really be bent!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDI Diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm an open water driver with Padi, training to become a commercial driver. We have to get certified through NAUI. In the pool today ( deepest depth of 13.5ft) we were practicing our skills like any other day. We were down to the bottom, up in the shallows, hung out in the bottom for a while... So on and so forth, for a total of about 6hrs of time in water. Altitude at the pool was about 968ft above sea level.

All went well in the training, got out of the water by 4pm, home by 5pm. But I was called into work. So I grabbed my gear and took off (I'm a Firefighter). Once I got to my station around 8pm I noticed a deep joint pain in my left shoulder that started. I thought nothing of this, merely brushed it off as just another body ache/pain. My station's altitude is 4,415ft above sea level. ( a difference of 3,447ft) could I really be bent? Or am I just freaking out?

Obviously you should talk to a hyperbaric doctor. Someone will be along to tell you to talk to DAN.

I am not a doctor, but you are well outside 'usual' profiles. If that was 6h at the bottom of a pool you will have got your slow tissues well stocked up with nitrogen. Then ascending to altitue means that nitrogen isn't being held in solution so well. So in my opinion you could be bent. Personally I'd be descending to sea level and breathing something rich. If it gets better you were bent, if not maybe you were bent.

Also consider the outcomes, you do nothing and you were bent - not so good, you do something and you were not bent - not much lost.

People get bent on ordinary dives for no obvious reason.

Given that profile and the altitude I would say it's not out of the realm of possibility. Since Ken already said someone would tell you to phone DAN then I'm going to be that guy. Phone DAN.

How are you feeling now?

R..

Given that profile and the altitude I would say it's not out of the realm of possibility. Since Ken already said someone would tell you to phone DAN then I'm going to be that guy. Phone DAN.

How are you feeling now?

R..

Same, tossing and turning in pain. Can't sleep due to it. Nothing makes it better or even dulls it. But I'm in a bad position, I can't call out for another 7hrs, nor can I descend in altitude. Damn near one of the worst pains I have ever felt.

Same, tossing and turning in pain. Can't sleep due to it. Nothing makes it better or even dulls it. But I'm in a bad position, I can't call out for another 7hrs, nor can I descend in altitude. Damn near one of the worst pains I have ever felt.
You can't call out? Is that because you are at work? Do you not have backup people in case of an emergency? From the first post I imagined 'niggles'. It sounds worse than that. So if you did call there will be one of two answers - see a doctor or see a doctor.

Have you got o2 you can breath? If that helps you were/are bent.

How useful is a firefighter with a bad shoulder?

You can't call out? Is that because you are at work? Do you not have backup people in case of an emergency?

I work for a small district so our staffing is already limited. I am covering for a guy already and was the only one available. So if I call out this station is out of service.

I'm breathing O2 now and the pain does seem to be easing up, so I'm gonna stay on it for a bit. So if we're erring on the side of bent, but I'm able to get the pain to go away, what's the next step after relief from pain?

The answer is yes, you could be bent.

I work for a small district so our staffing is already limited. I am covering for a guy already and was the only one available. So if I call out this station is out of service.

I'm breathing O2 now and the pain does seem to be easing up, so I'm gonna stay on it for a bit. So if we're erring on the side of bent, but I'm able to get the pain to go away, what's the next step after relief from pain?
The longer you delay proper treatment the higher the risk of permanent damage. What’s more important you’re wellbeing or continuing a shift?

---Please contact medical professionals----

[Anything below this line is not worth much and may or may not help or could even make things worse]

Since no one has mentioned it, hydrate.

The fact O2 helped resolve some pain is worrisome because O2 doesn't treat a normal body ache/injury but would help the bends. On the other hand, it's helping which may suggest mild bends.

O2 and hydrate. Possible dehydration constricts the blood flow you need to 'flush out' the nitrogen bubbles. The bends are unpredictable, getting a medical professional involved to get you he treatment needed to return to health or rule out the bends is useful. The long term effects of the bends left untreated can be severe. On the other hand, ambient O2 can be sufficient treatment for mild DCS.

I hope these words are somewhat helpful, I deleted and retyped the message several times.

Please keep us posted. And I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Regards,
Cameron

Get one of your medics to give IV fluids, Stay on O2, as soon as you get off, head for the doctor. I delayed treatment once for 5 days, I don't recommend it.

One thing you said is what tripped my trigger. That is, you feel better on O2. To me, you have positively identified the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom