Can I recondition my MR12-II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MiddleCoaster

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a circa 1980 AMF Mares MR12-II regulator (primary, octo, inflator and PD gauge combo).

Are 1st and 2nd stage parts and service available?

I understand there may be silicone diaphragms available to replace the original rubber ones. . . .

Gauges are Dacor pressure and depth units.

inflator hose fitting is for a Dacor BC.

I would appreciate any info available and am hoping to use this unit in a couple weeks.

Yes, the regulator can be rebuilt. Check with various Mares dealers to see if you can find a tech who is willing to rebuild the reg. The discontinued Mares MR12-III uses many of the same parts as that of the MR12-II design.

You are correct in that the Mares silicone parts work in the Voit/Swimaster MR12 series.

This is an example of an early MR12. It was manufactured around 1971, and has been rebuilt with Mares and NOS Voit parts. Another similar reg that I restored was tested extensively on an ANSTI Breathing Simulator. It performed well enough that it passed the current EU standards for regulators. Not bad for a vintage model.

P1010290.jpg

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I've dropped the unit off at my local dive shop -- and they will contact me Monday as to whether they can do the work.

Is there a facility that can be recommended as a prompt-performing backup if my locals cannot perform?

Last edited:
Not really, I would just check with different dealers. Scubatoys.com might be an option, they have an excellent reputation.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom