Can I repair my strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgeldin

California Ships To Reef
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a SeaLife SL960 strobe that will not charge when the switch is put in the on position. Since it was flashing before this condition occurred, I think it is a power related problem like a disconnected or broken switch wire. Is it advisable for me to attempt my own repair? Does anyone have any tips (aside from call SeaLife :wink:).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joel

I just flooded a Sea & Sea strobe a couple of weeks ago and tried everything myself to get it to work. I had it in bits several times and used a hair drier to dry it out to no avail. I was on a live aboard so had nothing to loose if I wanted to use it, so it was worth a go. When I got home I sent it to the distributor and they have repaired it for the equivalent of around $150, but still cheaper than buying again.

Sorry for your loss!

James

Hi Joel,
I have a Bonica head that is the exact same as the SeaLife960 that I can let go for $75 + shipping.

Chances are it's a loose wire or a bad capacitor. Check it out, if that's not it, buy Frank's and swap out the guts.

Chances are it's a loose wire or a bad capacitor. Check it out, if that's not it, buy Frank's and swap out the guts.

I'm looking at a SL960 right next to the Bonica. Identical except for printing and the Bonica has 2 sensors vs the one for the SL960. I don't think you will need to swap guts.
The SL960 pictured doesn't work.. included if you want it.
The cat stays.
strobes.JPG

Attachments

• strobes.JPG
    strobes.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 49
Hi Joel,
I have a Bonica head that is the exact same as the SeaLife960 that I can let go for $75 + shipping...

I'm looking at a SL960 right next to the Bonica. Identical except for printing and the Bonica has 2 sensors vs the one for the SL960. I don't think you will need to swap guts. The SL960 pictured doesn't work.. included if you want it.
The cat stays.
Frank... I'm not ready to accept your offer... yet. But, excluding the cat makes it more attractive to me. :D
Thalassamania... I've tried to disassemble the head and attempt a repair but, I've been thwarted by the switch actuator. I'm not sure how to remove it. I'd appreciate any tips on how to get the switch out of the housing so I can remove the guts.

Frank... I'm not ready to accept your offer... yet. But, excluding the cat makes it more attractive to me. :D

Thalassamania... I've tried to disassemble the head and attempt a repair but, I've been thwarted by the switch actuator. I'm not sure how to remove it. I'd appreciate any tips on how to get the switch out of the housing so I can remove the guts.
I'm not sure. Try calling Fred [SIZE=-1]Dion at Underwater Photo Tech, he's a good guy and might help. I'm sure he could fix for a reasonable price. [/SIZE] (603)432-1997

Back
Top Bottom