can I touch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many fish have a protective coating (slime). If you touch them, and disturb the coating, you can cause them to become susceptible to diseases, and possibly become ill and die. Touching other things (fire coral and things mentioned in other posts) will make you wish you hadn't. I've had DM's who have picked up sea cucumbers, arrow crabs, and other creatures, but the best rule of thumb is to not touch anything. Grabbing hold of (or kicking) coral can wipe out decades of growth. As it's been written, "take nothing, and leave only bubbles." Remember, you are a guest in their world and need to "mind your manners."

Fish_Whisperer:
So what you're trying to say is, creeping up behind him and goosing him is not a good idea?

Damn...

Muahahahahaha
Frank, you are evil! Sounds like something I would do!

One more thing about touching underwater critters:

Imagine, if you will (Twilight Zone music playing in the background)..... you are in your backyard, playing with your child, or at the BBQ ....... when a giant hand reaches down and smacks you on the butt. It then picks your child up by his/her hair to get a better look....... you poke it with your big fork, only to be smacked upside the head. When you come to .........

I hope you get my drift.

At least you're asking! Not like the 300 pound+ complete ********* who grabbed hold of a turtle and rode him when we were in PDC. Another diver gave him a good dressing down after that episode. He threatened to ride on his back to see how he liked it!

It's actually amazing how delicately balanced the salt water world can be, and how resilient.

Have you been reading these replies or are you trolling?
Once more....DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

I'm done with this one.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Acceptable reasons to touch a creature...

1. You are conducting legitimate scientific research on the creature.
2. You a collecting creatures for a legitimate aquarium. For example, I know the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago will go on collection trips.
3. You are legally hunting/fishing.
4. You ordered the legally obtained fish at a restuarant.
5. You are defending yourself, and touching the creature is your last option. Usually, leaving the area is solution enough.

Dave, no need for accusations. If you dont like the thread,no need to participate. No one is forcing you. In fact, you youself implied somethings are ok to touch,the key is knowing what things. The technique of relaxing also applies to internet forums, not only while diving Dave.

To the others, I did read all replies,but a few mentioned that somethings are ok to touch.

I was inquiring about those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom