Can I Use Double Cylinders for Aqualung Pro LT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your profile is accurate you're a relatively new diver. Most new divers are heavy air users and don't get near their NDL before they run out of gas. While some folks will always use more air than others, especially a bigger guy compared to a petite woman, with time and practice you'll use less air. Lots of people don't get near NDLs on just one or 2 dives in a day, since depending on depth some of those times can be pretty long; it's not a requirement to hit them. :wink: Jumping to doubles and trying to do it with a less than ideal BC, or thinking about sidemount, simply because you want more bottom time on basic rec dives seems overcomplicating things. What size tanks are you using? Maybe what you should be looking into are larger tanks?

Some of the Zeagle line of back-inflate BCD's can take doubles (Ranger, Express Tech etc.) but not your Aqualung.

What they meant was contact your dealer so they can sell you something that can - most AquaLung dealers can get Apeks gear and they make bp/w configurations.

rent, beg, borrow, steal or buy some steel 100's......you'll have them for life.

rent, beg, borrow, steal or buy some steel 100's......you'll have them for life.

HP tanks lend themselves nicely in cold water configurations. Personally I like LP85's because you can get great fills on them and HP120's, both trim nicely, 100's in doubles don't trim well most of the time. And when you grow into doubles they double up nicely. Like Jay said tho, 100 singles are pretty sweet for NDL diving.

If you double up AL80s's they're going to be really buoyant near the end of the dive as they get empty.

My instructor/owner of my LDS told me not to mess with steel tanks. Why do you recommend them? He didn't give me much reason other than they can corrode and rust easier than and AL tank.

If you double up AL80s's they're going to be really buoyant near the end of the dive as they get empty.

Gas contained in double AL80s doesn't weigh any less than gas in steels. You will need more lead elsewhere if you're diving aluminum tanks in order to compensate for the initial difference in buoyancy though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom