Can it be done better??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As an Instructor I believe it imperative to continually seek to improve upon the ways & means of diving instruction...

...perhaps you could help me along.

Up here in S. Ontario we are just heading into the O/W checkout season, & my thoughts this day are focused on how I & my teaching team might make this process better; to this end, what would you list as being the best of your open water checkout experience, & what would constitute the worst of the event?

Regards,
D.S.D.

Worst thing: struggling to communicate. There were lots of times when I wished there was a hand signal for, "I'm really stressed, give me a minute to calm down." Seems like there's nothing between, "I am OK," and, "I am drowning." "I have a problem," isn't that useful if you can't follow it up with an explanation. That's the way I felt, anyway... trapped in a silent world.

One helpful thing I learnt was the hand signal for, "Huh, I have no idea what you're on about." Ought to be in the book, IMO.

Best thing: well, I didn't actually drown. I found my certification dives very frustrating and I hated pretty much everything about them. Worked out okay in the end... I really like diving now.

Zept

seems like anyone can break down what to add and what not to add... i personally think depending in the area you dive warm waters or cold waters you should adapt to the envirnment and try to add things you think can assist students... but i personally would consider communication options something to be discussed before you get into O/W, maybe a classroom or pool session..

not all students are of equal levels... give the student with difficulty some time on the side and discuss if things go wrong maybe a personal signal can assist....

like make a dumbo signal with your hands if you need time to work out your problem.. otherwise give the stressed signal.

just a thought is all :)

One of the biggest problems that I encountered er um observed was the shift from warm pool to diving with 7mm suit, hood and gloves.

Practising in the pool for mask skills with a hood/gloves first would help.

The other thing that I liked when I did my OW dives was that they switched the order from skills to fress swim to a swim and then the skills. It just me a chance to settle down and get comfortable.

Good question D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom