What's happening to wetpixel.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lastly, I was approached to see if a thread could be started to suss things out. Of course. We're here for you in whatever capacity you need us. We know it's going to be a bit messy, with a bit of anger involved. It's Okay. We get it. Of course, we would love to be your new home. You guys are awesome, who wouldn't want you?
=> I believe it would be a very good idea to pep up the UW photography forum here, in order to replace the Wetpixel forum (it seems that Wetpixel is, unfortunately, dying). I think all Wetpixel posters and readers are concerned about the end of Wetpixel and will be glad to have an appropriate replacement, when this happens (already now it seems to be impossible for new users to subscribe)...

But we do have lots and lots of noobs asking noobish questions, which irks a few dedicated enthusiasts. So, if you decide you need to create yet another forum, you're OK to do that here as well.
=> Certainly zero problems with noobs etc... People are different (fortunately) and so are their demands...

What would be required to make an appropriate substitute, would be to enlarge the UW-photography section, with plenty of subsections/subdirectories for everyone (e.g. beginner forum, compact, system camera, photo-showroom, technical innovations and new products etc...).
One forum for everything is just not enough and no replacement for Wetpixel...

=> You should contact the moderators of Wetpixel, who still do an excellent job and do not have to do anything with the monetary disaster, whether they will advise you in substructuring and whether they are willing to contribute to such a revised UW-photography forum. Everybody will be happy..

Wolfgang

You should contact the moderators of Wetpixel,
Uh, while this seems welcoming, it looks more like poaching. I'm not trying to hasten the demise of WetPixel. I like your other ideas, though.

What would be nice and probably impossible is importing the other forum. To retain the information. Or if falling that, mirror it. The other forum was always difficult, I dare say a little elitist. It really needs to be. Maybe that is not the right word exactly. But look at scubaboard between the Basic Forum and the Technical Forums, not elitists? There is a place for beginners already here. What is being lost with wet pixel, should it not open back up, is a home for serious photogrpahers, pros, advanced amateurs. The existing forums here on scubaboard are kind of light and brand oriented rather than subject oriented. Sony Snappers and Nikons Niche is kind of cute but also sort of silly and does not lend itself to topic oriented content. Maybe I am not getting across well. Art is not about the brand of paintbrush or oils, it is about technique, methods, vision, concepts and a healthy dose of what it takes to turn a vision into a photograph.

Or if falling that, mirror it
slurp down a copy and send it to archive.org. Making a permanent record of websites is the primary mission of the internet archive - although their usual mechanism for recording the content won't work since it's members only.

I use this tool: Download HTTrack Website Copier 3.49-2 - HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL) It is free open source software that has compiled binary versions for windoze, unices (osx, bsd, linux, android, others).

What would be nice and probably impossible is importing the other forum. To retain the information. Or if falling that, mirror it. The other forum was always difficult, I dare say a little elitist. It really needs to be. Maybe that is not the right word exactly. But look at scubaboard between the Basic Forum and the Technical Forums, not elitists? There is a place for beginners already here. What is being lost with wet pixel, should it not open back up, is a home for serious photogrpahers, pros, advanced amateurs. The existing forums here on scubaboard are kind of light and brand oriented rather than subject oriented. Sony Snappers and Nikons Niche is kind of cute but also sort of silly and does not lend itself to topic oriented content. Maybe I am not getting across well. Art is not about the brand of paintbrush or oils, it is about technique, methods, vision, concepts and a healthy dose of what it takes to turn a vision into a photograph.
=> Right, now when you say it I realize there are already subforums, but I forgot this fact because the organization is so poor (sorry to say this, but it is as it is...)...

I, personally, find the following forums well selected (but some need maintenance):

#1.: Classified
#2.: Strobes&Lighting
#3.: Photo Contest
#4.: Marine Art
#5.: Q&A for equipment (as kind of pinboard)

The section "Tips&Techniques" plus the individual manufactureres sections are arbitrary and not well selected. Better would be Gear&Technique (one separately for compact, system cameras and video each), showroom (one for photos, one for videos), trip reports, Image/Video editing and software, beginner forum and a forum for critter identification...

Just my thoughts...

Wolfgang

I am going to hate myself for weighing in but here goes........

WS007 Wolfgang and Nemrod (James, long time friend) shared great insights.

I was there at the beginning of Wetpixel contributing articles and insights.

I dare say my friend (who BUILT HIS OWN Nikon D100 dSLR housing!! ) and I might have been the first to shoot our Nikon D100 cameras on a Bahamas trip around 2000. I had a prototype Ikelite huge Motor Drive sized film camera housing they whipped up for me with maybe 4-6 controls but I made pictures with it and the digital underwater photo race was off to a great start.

As more gear became available I rode the dSLR wave and now mirrorless ILC (interchangeable lens cameras) dominates the higher end market. Which just so people understand as much as we love underwater photography it is a tiny, tiny, super tiny market.

I agree with Nemrod a place for high end system users should exist but too often as I've posted before discussions devolves into "measurbating" specs versus actual image making. There are PAGES that go on and on about details such as edge corner sharpness, lens reviews and measurement sites that sometime pertain to UW real world use and sometimes are just meaningless drivel :(

I think the reason Wetpixel (other than the monetary disaster) was slowly dying is they totally ignored anything but high end ILC systems. It's funny and sad as you see less and less huge set ups on trips compared to all manner of GoPro, compacts and now smartphones. I think they almost cooked their own goose but understood it was driven by manufacturer's advertising for the more expensive set ups.

Here's what I think segmenting possible forums might be of benefit to all UW shooters.......Feel free to disagree with me! I went through a build up of more and more and more gear over 4 decades. I finally have chosen to go with less and less equipment each trip but still have fun shooting pictures on my dives but always encourage people to go with what they want!

Categories irrespective of brand:

* ILC high End Systems including dSLR, Mirrorless, multiple strobe shooting, Super Macro lenses, etc. Adobe Lightroom and other high end editing discussions.

* Compact Systems like the Olympus TG series, Canon and Sony 1" sensor compacts including shooting with only built in flash, video lights or strobe(s). Also wide and macro lenses specific to these smaller sensor cameras.

* Smartphone shooting underwater to include housings, lights, filter and lens accessories, trays, arms, etc.

* How about a SOFTWARE category? The Dive + App and SeaReal on smartphones are incredible and used by many smartphone users already. Maybe tips and tricks using these simpler editing tools?

I think this would help any image maker of any category enjoy their dives and sharing the experiences.

Just one old guy's opinions of course :)

David Haas

IMG_0207.jpegIMG_7860.jpegNightSquidFB1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1346.JPG.jpg
    DSCF1346.JPG.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1356.JPG.jpg
    DSCF1356.JPG.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 45
A group of Wetpixel users, concerned by the possible closure of WP, posted about a backup plan with a sign up form (in the OG Post here).
Significant progress has been made and a new site will go live soon that will be a familiar space for Wetpixel users.

www.waterpixels.net

If Pete could drum up a couple of moderators to run it, a forum section that everyone could read but must be applied to for post privileges would meet the need pretty well.

Applicants could be required to provide evidence of an empty bank account and back problems from carrying all that camera gear to the boat.

If Pete could drum up a couple of moderators to run it, a forum section that everyone could read but must be applied to for post privileges would meet the need pretty well.

Applicants could be required to provide evidence of an empty bank account and back problems from carrying all that camera gear to the boat.
Whatever they want. We can always make private and semi-private forums bases on all sorts of criteria. But it sound like they want to reinvent the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom