Can Nauticam NA-EM5 Housing be Retrofited w/ Nauticam Vaccum Leak Test Electronics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hennyb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I have purchased my NA-EM5 from Blue Water Photo in the US and currently residing in Thailand. Still have not gotten this wet yet, waiting for trip to Manado late December.

I contacted Nauticam USA and they advised that the NA-EM5 housing can be retrofitted with the new Vacuum Leak Test Detector electronics and valve. I then considered it might be easier to have it done in Asia so contacted Scubacam, the Nauticam Service center in Singapore. They then informed me that Nauticam HQ in Hong Kong advised that the electronics will not fit in the NA-EM5 housing contrary to info received from Nauticam USA.

Sent another inquiry to Nauticam USA in regards to this and have not received a response.

Has anyone had their NA-EM5 housing retrofitted?

Would really like to install this before my trip next month. If it won't work, will probably install Vivid Sentinel.

Thank you.

Akimbo,

Thank you for your reply. Read that post before and everything I have read on this system has convinced me to install this in my new housing.

Would appreciate it if you could advise when it is complete and send a picture.

It would a lot easier to have it done at either the Nauticam Service either in Thailand or Singapore instead of shipping to the US and then back to Thailand. Appears they are getting the wrong information from Nauticam HK. Singapore service center advised that HK is the HQ so they must be better informed then Nauticam USA. I am hoping to be able to show HK that it can be done.

Henny

Last edited:
The Nauticam Bangkok guys are very good. The shop is in the DiveSupply in Bangkok store, near the Piyathai BTS station. They should be back from Dema later this week, then i'm going to have them install it in my EM5.

Akimbo,

Thank you for your reply. Read that post before and everything I have read on this system has convinced me to install this in my new housing.

Would appreciate it if you could advise when it is complete and send a picture.

It would a lot easier to have it done at either the Nauticam Service either in Thailand or Singapore instead of shipping to the US and then back to Thailand. Appears they are getting the wrong information from Nauticam HK. Singapore service center advised that HK is the HQ so they must be better informed then Nauticam USA. I am hoping to be able to show HK that it can be done.

Henny

The Nauticam Bangkok guys are very good. The shop is in the DiveSupply in Bangkok store, near the Piyathai BTS station. They should be back from Dema later this week, then i'm going to have them install it in my EM5.

I have dealt with Dive Supply for many years now including purchasing and servicing dive equipment.

In regards to the housing mod I have contacted the shop and the staff said they were not sure when/if they would have the retrofit kit and if they would be able to perform the modification in Bangkok.

Has Dive Supply confirmed with you directly that they will be doing this mod in Bangkok and it can be done on the NA-EM5. As mentioned above have received conflicting information from Nauticam HK and Nauticam USA whether it can be done on this housing. Waiting for clarification. Ideally would get it done in Bangkok.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 03:53 PM ----------

FYI I was just contacted by Dive Supply (Nauticam Thailand) and K. Ay advised that he saw the retrofit on a NA-EM5 last week when he attended DEMA and will be able install this mod on my housing in a couple of weeks when the parts arrive. :yeahbaby::yeahbaby:

I asked K Ay to get me one at Dema for my EM5, and he told me not to worry, will be able to do them in Bangkok later this month.

I have dealt with Dive Supply for many years now including purchasing and servicing dive equipment.

In regards to the housing mod I have contacted the shop and the staff said they were not sure when/if they would have the retrofit kit and if they would be able to perform the modification in Bangkok.

Has Dive Supply confirmed with you directly that they will be doing this mod in Bangkok and it can be done on the NA-EM5. As mentioned above have received conflicting information from Nauticam HK and Nauticam USA whether it can be done on this housing. Waiting for clarification. Ideally would get it done in Bangkok.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 03:53 PM ----------

FYI I was just contacted by Dive Supply (Nauticam Thailand) and K. Ay advised that he saw the retrofit on a NA-EM5 last week when he attended DEMA and will be able install this mod on my housing in a couple of weeks when the parts arrive. :yeahbaby::yeahbaby:

FYI I was just contacted by Dive Supply (Nauticam Thailand) and K. Ay advised that he saw the retrofit on a NA-EM5 last week when he attended DEMA and will be able install this mod on my housing in a couple of weeks when the parts arrive.

[FONT=&amp]Nauticam Thailand just contacted me again and advised that they have also been in contact with Nauticam HK and were advised that there will need to be a modification to the electronics, perhaps length of wiring to the switch to allow installation in this housing. They are hopeful that HK will have an officially released solution sometime next week. [/FONT]

…Would appreciate it if you could advise when it is complete and send a picture.…

Happy to, is there anything in particular you want to see that the video and images found in the other thread doesn’t show? It will be about a week before I get it back.

…It would a lot easier to have it done at either the Nauticam Service either in Thailand or Singapore instead of shipping to the US and then back to Thailand…

I agree and I think that is how it is supposed to work. Technically, I sent the housing to Nauticam USA and not Reef. However, they are in the same building and I understand that they share service capacity. I purchased the user installable non-offset M16 vacuum valve from Reef before getting the newsletter, but they offered to install it at no cost at the same time since they need a valve to test the leak sensor anyway.

My “understanding” is that Nauticam distributors are tasked with the installation rather than the dealers. I wish it were user installable as mentioned in the other thread.

Reef sent an E-mail Newsletter with this link:

http://reefphoto.com/forms/nauticam...il&utm_term=0_10680d01a0-7cc4982883-293933777

Note that the [-]link[/-] form says Nauticam USA and the dealer is to be specified, which I guess is so they get credit for the sale the hardware. However, the address is the same for Reef Photo.

It offers a 25% discount on servicing the housing when it is returned for the sensor installation. I didn’t take them up on it since the housing is so new and I am comfortable servicing it myself. It is a clever marketing idea and worth asking about in your area.

Last edited:
Akimbo, Thanks for the info. Already received the form from Nauticam USA.
Happy to, is there anything in particular you want to see that the video and images found in the other thread doesn’t show? It will be about a week before I get it back.
Would like just a picture showing how the electronics and switch is installed inside the housing.

Not quite sure why Nauticam USA at this time can do the install on the NA-EM5 yet Nauticam HQ in HK needs to figure it out. Strange. Hopefully I will be able to have it done here, if not will send the housing to the US.

…Not quite sure why Nauticam USA at this time can do the install on the NA-EM5 yet Nauticam HQ in HK needs to figure it out. Strange...

It probably has a lot to do with the DEMA show being in their back yard this year plus having larger housing inventories to look at. I am sure all the distributors will catch up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the delay is Nauticam HQ figuring out how to communicate installation procedures for all the different housings and languages involved. Just be glad you have one of their really popular housings that’s still in production!

Back
Top Bottom