Can old Suunto Companion still be used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTGeek88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a couple of Suunto Companion dive computers. One for me, one for my wife. Twenty-eight years (or so) after I bought them, they still turn on! Not sure I'd trust them for diving. Just bought some new Mares Puck Pro+ computers. The electronics and the battery on the Companions are epoxied in (though the whatever around the electronics is probably really some sort of rubber/plastic that's more flexible and probably not epoxy). My questions are these:

1) Could a new battery be installed? Wouldn't be easy or likely, it seems.
2) Would these computers have any residual value? One person suggested collectors might be interested.

Thanks much. Happy and safe diving.

Attachments

• IMG_9713.jpg
    IMG_9713.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9714.jpg
    IMG_9714.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 82
Piece of cake

Piece of cake
😂 No, don't think I'd call that a piece of cake. Plus, that is a different version of that model. Thanks, though.

Yes they can still be used. Battery Change is easy....uses a 3v 1/2AA battery (I recommend Varta). The battery compartment cover takes a size 023/70a o-ring.

The computer memory tends to fail if the battery goes completely dead or is removed for a lengthy period of time but if you pull yours and fairly quickly put the replacement in, you should be good to go. If you get the "Log" error mentioned in the previous post then the computer memory is toast. Suunto does not offer service on these older computers anymore.

These don't have much residual value given the plethora of dive computer makes/models available that do everything these do and more...you would have to find someone looking for something "nostalgic" as I don't believe these fall in the category of "vintage", and I doubt anyone would be willing to pay much for them....my guess is $50 would be the upper limit you would be able to fetch per computer, but that is on a good day where the stars are aligned.

Although there are computers on the market that are considered better, there is no reason not to use an old Suunto Companion if you have one (or two) that work.

-Z

Yes they can still be used. Battery Change is easy....uses a 3v 1/2AA battery (I recommend Varta). The battery compartment cover takes a size 023/70a o-ring.

The computer memory tends to fail if the battery goes completely dead or is removed for a lengthy period of time but if you pull yours and fairly quickly put the replacement in, you should be good to go. If you get the "Log" error mentioned in the previous post then the computer memory is toast. Suunto does not offer service on these older computers anymore.

These don't have much residual value given the plethora of dive computer makes/models available that do everything these do and more...you would have to find someone looking for something "nostalgic" as I don't believe these fall in the category of "vintage", and I doubt anyone would be willing to pay much for them....my guess is $50 would be the upper limit you would be able to fetch per computer, but that is on a good day where the stars are aligned.

Although there are computers on the market that are considered better, there is no reason not to use an old Suunto Companion if you have one (or two) that work.

-Z

On 2nd thought and look, it looks like the 1/2AA battery is potted in with epoxy. I had a different version/similar old Suunto computer, I think it was the "Octopus" and it had a small oval battery compartment with an o-ring sealed cover behind the back of the computer housing.

(picture swiped from google images)
1685567429564.png

I am not sure if it is worth the time/effort to change the battery on yours unless you are handy at those things, but theoretically it can be done...I guess.

-Z

Yeah, it would be an interesting project, for sure, Zef. It’s beyond my time availability and likely my skill set. I’ll use my new computer on my next dive, but will probably take the Suunto jut to see what happens. I’m still amazed it turns on. Thanks.

I have a Suunto solution that I am not prepared to guess how old it is. It lives in my console as a backup computer. To change the battery I remove it from the console. Take out the 4 phillips head screws, pop the cover off the battery, replace the battery, grease the o ring, replace the battery cover and replace the 4 screws, never replaced the o ring. May be I am Just lucky, but if it floods I don’t care

Yeah I still use Companions and Favours and Solutions or somethings from shore

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom