Can people with asthma become a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pam and Stella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

Just curious if this against PADI? Trying to get certified to be a DM
when having an asthma condition?

Pam

I dunno about PADI, but I suppose that for any professional level certification, your doctor would have to evaluate how acute the asthma is and make a medical judgment call if the asthma is acute enough to impare a reasonable "professional" level of performance in stressful and strenuous situations.

Might want to ask this in the Dr. Deco section, he'd probably be better equipped to answer this than anyone else.....

Personally, I don't know. I do know there are a lot of restrictions with just becoming a certified diver and having asthma. I'm bettting that if you can become certified, then you could become a DM, but if you don't have business being certified with asthma, you have no business being a DM.

Pam,

I think it could be interesting to know that, based on medical reasons (obviously ! ), scuba diving is strictly not permitted to people who have asthma here in France. :(

And I dunno whether it is permitted in the PADI regulations or not. Any input, anyone ?

:)

I know that asthma prevents even a basic OW cert for Naui, but honestly I don't know about Padi

pam once bubbled...
Hello!

Just curious if this against PADI? Trying to get certified to be a DM
when having an asthma condition?

Pam

Not a good idea, in general.

DMs have responsibilities to students and to divers in an organized dive. In a worse case scenario, a group of inexperienced divers in a deep drift dive with limited visibility, more that just a DM may die should the DM experience an asthma attack at depth. Even if the DM survives, without a dive leader, inexperienced divers could be lost or injured. A question could be raised whether the employers were negligent in allowing a DM with a known disability to have responsibility for other divers.

Asthma is not one disease, but has various levels of severity, causes and triggers. Mild intermittent asthmatics, with known trigger factors, could be certified to recreational dive. However, asthma can change with time, either improve or worsen.

The data is conflicting to date, asthma related dive accidents are not common in DAN data.

In standard diving practice, the most an asthmatic diver may be responsible for is a buddy, and vice versa. An asthmatic diver can confide in their buddy the risks of diving with him or her, and coordinate what could be done in case of emergency. The buddy pair understands the risk and choose to dive. The asthmatic diver understands his/her risk and chooses to dive. To confide the same to a party of paying divers would certainly raise eyebrows.

During the past year the RSTC in conjunction with the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Society and have revised the PADI's Guidelines for Recreational Scuba Diver's Physical Exam in order to take divers medical conditions under advisement on a more individual level.

I am not a physician or a health professional. However, as an Instructor it is my understanding that this document now is divided up into several "risk" categories; from Temporary to Severe (AKA Counter-indication). And that physicians may make the determination into which "risk" category the patient falls using these revised criteria.

From the Pulmonary section of the Guidelines:

PULMONARY
Any process or lesion that impedes airflow from the lungs places the diver at risk for pulmonary overinflation with alveolar rupture and the possibility of cerebral air embolization. Many interstitial diseases predispose to spontaneous pneumothorax: Asthma (reactive airway disease), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), cystic or cavitating lung diseases may all cause air trapping. The 1996 Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) consensus on diving and asthma indicates that for the risk of pulmonary barotrauma and decompression illness to be acceptably low, the asthmatic diver should be asymptomatic and have normal spirometry before and after an exercise test. Inhalation challenge tests (e.g.: using histamine, hypertonic saline or methacholine) are not sufficiently standardized to be interpreted in the context of scuba diving.

A pneumothorax that occurs or reoccurs while diving may be catastrophic. As the diver ascends, air trapped in the cavity expands and could produce a tension pneumothorax. In addition to the risk of pulmonary barotrauma, respiratory disease due to either structural disorders of the lung or chest wall or neuromuscular disease may impair exercise performance. Structural disorders of the chest or abdominal wall (e.g.: prune belly), or neuromuscular disorders, may impair cough, which could be life threatening if water is aspirated. Respiratory limitation due to disease is compounded by the combined effects of immersion (causing a restrictive deficit) and the increase in gas density, which increases in proportion to the ambient pressure (causing increased airway resistance). Formal exercise testing may be helpful.

Relative Risk Conditions
• History of Asthma or Reactive Airway Disease ((RAD)*
• History of Exercise Induced Bronchospasm ((EIB)*
• History of solid,,cystic or cavitating lesion*
• Pneumothorax secondary to::
-Thoracic Surgery
-Trauma or Pleural Penetration*
-Previous Overinflation Injury*
• Obesity
• History of Immersion Pulmonary Edema Restrictive Disease**
• Interstitial lung disease::May increase the risk of pneumothorax
* Spirometry should be normal before and after exercise
Active Reactive Airway Disease,Active Asthma,Exercise Induced Bronchospasm,Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or history of same with abnormal PFTs or a positive exercise challenge are concerns for diving.

Severe Risk Conditions
• History of spontaneous pneumothorax.Individuals who have experienced spontaneous pneumothorax should avoid diving, even after a surgical procedure designed to prevent recurrence (such as pleurodesis). Surgical procedures either do not correct the underlying lung abnormality (e.g.: pleurodesis, apical pleurectomy) or may not totally correct it (e.g.: resection of blebs or bullae).
• Impaired exercise performance due to respiratory disease.

This Medical Release is MANDATORY for EVERY diver who takes a PADI course, regardless of training level.

~SubMariner~

Hi,
to become a PADI DM it just depends on whether you find a doctor who gives you a certificate which says that you are fit to dive without any restrictions.
:rolleyes:
That is what the standards say, and then it is up to the Instructor whether he will certifiy you.

Back
Top Bottom