Can someone explain the F02 settings on Atmos Elite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several got very close to explaining the 50% FO2 Default setting, but I think there is still some confusion. Our early Nitrox computers automatically default to an impossible mix of 50% O2 and 79% Nitrogen following a Nitrox dive. This is designed to insure that the diver resets the Nitrox mix before every dive. If you failed to do that, the computer would revert to the mix above, effectively covering all bases whether the diver switched to air or 50% O2 for the following dive. This become bothersome to some, mostly instructors, that would spend time (10 minutes or more) on the surface with students, then descend again. If they were diving Nitrox, the 50% default would kick in. Our current generation of Nitrox computers allow you to turn this default On or Off, giving you the choice depending on the circumstance.

Summary:
FO2 50% Default ON: computer defaults to 50% O2 / 79% Nitrogen following a Nitrox dive and 10 minutes on the surface. Mix must be set prior to each dive.

FO2 50% Default OFF: computer defaults to the last mix set, and retains that setting until changed again or the computer shuts down.

Someone also mentioned PO2 - the default setting on all of our computers is 1.6. The user may adjust this between 1.2 - 1.6.

Doug Krause:
Several got very close to explaining .....

Isn't SB great !

When Oceanic/Aeris as well as many other mfrs are willing to take the time to browse through here and answer questions it really does say something about their dedication to support of their products.

Thanks Doug. Is this something that I have to adjust when the F02 is set to AIR on the SET 1 menu? -or does it only come into play if I change the F02 to anything higher than AIR or 21%?

Thanks again to everyone - I'm just trying to understand this gadget fully. I will be doing almost 100% reef dives, multiple times a day when on vacation over the next month. This DC is great for me - I know the rule is to plan your dives in advance, and this works well on a head boat, but when you have your own boat, dive times and locations can vary a lot. This DC really takes the guesswork out and lets me enjoy my diving instead of crunching numbers during each SI. There is a fine line between lazy and efficient, eh? :)

Jeff

Doug I have a similar question as I just received the Pro+2 and was wondering the best setting for Air on it...I currently have the FO2 set to AIR as well in Set #1. The FO2 automatically defaults to 50%...is this correct? Or should I be changing anything to ensure I'm getting Air readings? Thanks in advance!

The FO2 50% Default setting only applies following a Nitrox dive - FO2 =/> than 21%. If you're diving with FO2 set for "Air", none of the Nitrox functionality appears. Unless on the other hand you're diving with FO2 set at 21% rather than the default "Air" - that is another story.

Doug...on the Set 1, I set the FO2 for Air, but when I went to Set 2, the FO2 showed 50%...I changed that one to Air as well....is this correct? Sorry if this seems trite, but the directions in the manual (yes....I actually read the manual!) didn't specify this.

Back
Top Bottom