Can Someone Help a Brother Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ductapeman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I used to dive the lakes around here back before there were certifications, and I've decided to get active again and get an OW cert-- but does anyone know of a good school in the Tacoma area?? I live in Spanaway and work in Olympia, and it seems like most of the schools expect you to drive up to Federal Way for the pool work-- not out of the question, but I'd really rather not get there already exhausted and frazzled from the drive up, ya'know? The only exceptions I've found are A-2-Z on River Road in Puyallup, and a place out on Mud Bay, which is in the generally wrong direction-- am I hosed, or does someone know a place I've overlooked?? Thanks in advance-- Lee :coffee:

Oh, by the way-- howdy, y'all!! :D

You know...the places that you have mentioned in your OP are very good and have some great instructors. Most will work with you on your pool work so you aren't exhausted from the LONG drive up, or down. I would really be interviewing the various instructors from the shops and their programs so that you would be getting a good education. That would be my first concern. You will start to develop a relationship with your LDS in terms of further education, gear education and purchases as well as forging relationships with the divers and dive clubs that may be associated with the shops. Nothing worth having comes easy. Especially when it comes to diving.
Just my 2PSI.
K

Ductapeman:
Hi, I used to dive the lakes around here back before there were certifications, and I've decided to get active again and get an OW cert-- but does anyone know of a good school in the Tacoma area?? I live in Spanaway and work in Olympia, and it seems like most of the schools expect you to drive up to Federal Way for the pool work-- not out of the question, but I'd really rather not get there already exhausted and frazzled from the drive up, ya'know? The only exceptions I've found are A-2-Z on River Road in Puyallup, and a place out on Mud Bay, which is in the generally wrong direction-- am I hosed, or does someone know a place I've overlooked?? Thanks in advance-- Lee :coffee:

Oh, by the way-- howdy, y'all!! :D

How about Capital Divers in Olympia, Lighthouse in Tacoma and I think there is an Underwater Sports there as well.

Capital Divers in Olympia ... or Tacoma Scuba in Tacoma ... or A-2-Z in Puyallup ... or UWS in Lakewood ...

I wouldn't recommend Lighthouse Tacoma ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All in One scuba at south 86th and Pacific, Underwater sports near so. 96th and South Tacoma Way, Tacoma Scuba-1600 blk. of south center st., or Lighthouse diving 25th and Pac. ave so. I regularly go to all of them, all good shops. Each with it's own personality.I suggest visiting them and seeing which one fits you best.
oh yea, Capital Divers is cool too but I am not a regular.

Capitol Divers would get my recommendation.

Speak to Gratefuldiver as well. He is one of the finest instructors I've been taught by.

I would speak to NW Greatful Diver as well!A great instructor -you wont find a better guy!His passion and knowledge speak volumes!

Back
Top Bottom