Can Suunto Cobra 2 be used for deco diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob:

Thanks for your excellent and detailed reply :)

I wouldn't use the term "almost certainly" ... because where decompression is concerned, nothing is almost certain. You can break every rule in the book and get away with it one day, and go out the next ... do everything "right" ... and end up in a chamber. It's all a matter of playing the probabilities.
...and this is why I view the objectionable statement as objectionable. Your response put it quite eloquently :)

Cheers!
nd

It's ironic that Suunto has been singled out in this thread. The Suunto algorithms are known to be one of the most conservative, and much more so than Navy tables. While I have not used my Vyper for decompression diving, my guess is that the problem with using it so is just the opposite. Instead of ending up in a recompression chamber, you get penalized and end up with no bottom time.

One of the dive guides in Cozumel sold his Vyper for exactly this reason. The computer did not allow him sufficient dive time.

Adam

WHOOOOSSSHHHHHH ... :shakehead:

(where's JeffG when you need him?) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So in the market of console style recreational dive computers with air integration it seems like the consensus is that Suunto Cobra 3 (or 2) is OK. Here are the features I liked:

• User replaceable battery
  • Easy to understand and read display
  • Computer interface available
  • Quick disconnect
  • Nitrox capable

Any other contenders I should consider? Anything that would be more capable later and easy to use now for under $1500 or so?
VR2, maybe even a VR3.

Bob:

Thanks for your excellent and detailed reply :)

...and this is why I view the objectionable statement as objectionable. Your response put it quite eloquently :)

Cheers!
nd

I understand your objection a little better, and being big enough (read old) to accept when I may have not chosen my words without first understanding that some individuals may see emphasis in them that I did not.

I stand by my warning, however, if you wish to temper the caution with replacing the words "almost certainly" with "may" then feel free to do so.

As for the response from SUUNTO about the Cobra 2, I have just received it (about 3 hours ago), and they responded stating the following. "The Suunto Cobra 2 will be able to do decompression dives, but as you have instructed correctly, we don't recommend recreational divers to dive in deco. It is always good to explain to the divers about the dangers of diving into decompression."

Not exactly what I expected, so I phoned the rep and spoke to him. According to the rep the newer computers have had the algorithms changed, but not to the extent that a multi gas computer that is specifically designed to dive into deco on a repeated basis. (such as the VR3 or Nitec HE or other such computer) He did stress that the deco is intended more as a contingency measure and not a replacement for proper planning and training. Which is why they have the "gauge mode" capability, so that they can be used either with tables to control the dive, or as a bailout timer with bailout tables.

So there we have it, sort of. The computer will get you out of the water, but they stress the need for training, caution, and experience. They have gauge mode, and can serve as a timer and depth gauge during planned deco dives.

This thread's an excellent example of why so many experienced divers who used to offer valuable information on ScubaBoard don't bother posting here anymore ... they got tired of being "corrected" by 50-dive experts and folks who were DM's for, like, hours before becoming Master Scuba Diver Trainers ... :shakehead:

Some folks are just better off learning the hard way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So true. About 6 months after we took that dive trip to Bonaire (2005) I got tired of all the "cyber diver experts" who kept on insisting that they know what they are writing about, because they have XXX number of posts on the subject and have a high post count online. So I went away for 2 years, came back once in a while, and really started back here last month. I have been lurking in the I2I forums exclusively, and am wondering why I came out, seeing that is seems nothing has really changed.

BTW where's Uncle Pug?

A very interesting discussion. I hope guys like 40F and NWGD don't stop posting on such topics.
I am having the opposite problem. I'm looking for a simple (cheap) BT/DG and can't find one. Everywhere I look I find a fancy (expensive) model or a computer (expensive) that can be put into gauge mode. I've got a Gekko that can't be put into gauge mode damn it.
I find even as a rec diver I am over reliant on my computer to tell me about my NDL's and have started using tables to pre plan some dives (I feel the pull of the dark side).

I have a Cobra that I have used since being certified last summer. My understanding of the Suunto manual is that the Cobra (not familiar with the Cobra2) does provide for routine "deep" diving, where "deep" is the 60' to 120' range allowed for recreational divers. As i understand it, the Suunto Cobra is not intended to be used as a full decompression computer. It will calculate decompression stops and floors and ceilings in the event that you inadvertantly find yourself in a decompression dive (which should not happen if we pay attention to our depth and time)

The cobra is air integrated (an excellent feature by the way which does a pretty good job of calculating remaining bottom time till air supply is exhausted), in either air or nitrox modes and provides for safety stops and in some instances will provided ceiling and floor depths when necessary. It will automatically adjust for multilevel dives (or yo yoing) It is a great computer in my opinion for recreational diving. It does have a depth and gauge mode. It is not intended to be used for full deco and or mixed gas diving, unless you are planning to use it in gauge mode and plan dives from tables.

I'm not an expert, however I have read the owners manual for the cobra several times.

The only drawbacks I have noticed:
It does not automatically adjust for altitude for use in the case of Altitude diving. (It does allow for the user to choose more conservative settings to account for personal health/ fitness levels and to compensate for altitude diving, which helps offset this drawback.)
I don't believe the cobra adjusts calculations for water temperature when diving in cold water, but I am not positive of this point.
The hose is a little more inconvenient than a wrist mount hoseless air integrated computer.
Some say Suunto computers are a bit conservative as compared to other computers. To me, this is not a drawback, but then, I tend to err on conservatism.

In short, I really like my Cobra and would recommend it to any recreational diver.

I hope this helps.

I'm looking for a simple (cheap) BT/DG and can't find one.

There's a Uwatec BT being offered up used right now: The Deco Stop

Check that forum often. Good stuff usually goes quickly.

He's one of the experienced divers I was talking about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I kinda figured as much, too bad, SB is not the same.

I admire your "stick to it-ness" in providing some semblance of informed response to questions.

With my own obligations of running a business, teaching diving/flying/astronomy. I find my patience in this forum is not as good as yours.

Kudos to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom