can you get bent from OW pool sessions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
theoretically could you safely do all the padi OW confined pool excersizes in 1 day and do the 4 OW dives?
do the pool sessions count towards absorbed residual nitrogen? the minium depth on the rdp table is 10m,
and to get from pressure group A to (before dive) pressure group A it shows 0:00 - 3:00

thx

Ballastbelly - it really would be better if you waited until you've gone through your course material, and talked with an Instructor, before you keep running scenarios though your head and make yourself worried. Most of the questions you've posted recently will be covered in your class, and the Instructor isn't going to let you get yourself in a bad situation.

Okay, back to your question:

The answer would be; No, you won't get "bent" from the pool sessions. However, if you fail to ascend slowly, even from a 15' pool, you could experience problems other than Decompression Sickness (DCS / The Bends). DCS isn't always the bends, because not all of the problems result in painful joints keeping you "bent" over. The rate of N2 absorbtion in a 15' deep pool is very slow, so your RNT won't be a factor for your pool sessions.

What CAN happen during your pool dives is called a Lung Overexpansion Injury due to NOT keeping your airway open (breathing). People think because it's shallow, you aren't in danger, but in reality, you're more likely to have an over-expansion injury in a pool than from changing your depth by the same amount during an actual OW dive. It's due to the percentage of change compared to your current depth.

You'll learn that a volume of gas (lungs) will be inversely proportional to the charge in the pressure. Pressure down --> Volume up (expands)

Pool: Change from 15ft to 5ft due to buoyancy issues, and that's a 66.7% change in your surrounding pressure for just 10ft.
Open Water: Change from 60ft to 50ft due to buoyancy issues again, and it's only a 16.7% change in surrounding pressure for that same 10ft.

The volume of air in your lungs will expand due to the drop in surrounding pressure, and if you hold your breath, that expanding air has nowhere to go except for through the alveoli (lung tissues) and into your chest cavity, or into your bloodstream.

I agree with Jim, you need to go through your course material and talk with your instructor.

I will add, you can't do any more that 3 Open Water dives in one day (PADI)

I will add, you can't do any more that 3 Open Water dives in one day (PADI)

Dangit! That was one of my first thoughts too, but then I got off on the DCS tangent. :wink:

I wouldn't take a course where the instructor would try to get through all the pool sessions in one day. That's just stupid. Rushing someone through like that. I don't like to do more than 2 pool sessions in a day. 2 hours each with a 2 hour break in between is pushing it IMO and I'd only do that with someone who was really on the ball. Then we'd only have 5 two and half hour or 6 more two hour sessions to do before OW.

It's much much better and safer to ask an experienced diver , especially an instructor if you are in a course , than complete strangers on line.

I wouldn't take a course where the instructor would try to get through all the pool sessions in one day. That's just stupid. Rushing someone through like that. I don't like to do more than 2 pool sessions in a day. 2 hours each with a 2 hour break in between is pushing it IMO and I'd only do that with someone who was really on the ball. Then we'd only have 5 two and half hour or 6 more two hour sessions to do before OW.

seems to be the norm with PADI, i had two colleagues that did thier certification in one weekend, roughly 8 hours a day, theory and pool combined

our course was 10 weeks, which gave us plenty of time to learn and practice and for one on one if neded

seems to be the norm with PADI, i had two colleagues that did thier certification in one weekend, roughly 8 hours a day, theory and pool combined

our course was 10 weeks, which gave us plenty of time to learn and practice and for one on one if neded

This wasn't my experience at all. I'm recently certified through padi and we broke our certification up into two weekends worth of diving.

I would say it's probably up to the lds as to how many dives they want to do in one day, not padi.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

No, PADI standards are quite explicit....no more than 3 open water training dives in one day.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

The question was if you could do all the pool/academic work and get a certification in 1 day. The answer is no. There are not enough hours in a day to do it all in 1 day.

So that being said, if you do the pool work one day and the certification dives the next (which I highly doubt), you would not be concerned with nitrogen from the pool work even if it was one of the deeper pools. The other part would be you won't be going deep enough nor will your dives be long enough on your certification dives to cause concern with nitrogen even if you did all 4 in one day.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom