Can you identify this disease? (Spotted moray)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I saw this moray today out on the reef. He was about as big a spotted moray as I've ever seen. Maybe not the biggest, but he was up there. Anyway he had this blue-green (without the strobe) foam looking stuff coming out of his head and mouth. I'm sorry that the shots are so big, I couldnt get to him that well because he was in a hole, and so I left them big so people could see the foam better. Does anyone know what it might be?

P1010022-2.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

I'm amazed this moray is still alive. He is obviously blind and has some kind of cancerous like growths.

I don't *do* fungus. :doctor:

That looks like a bunch of epithelial neoplasms rather than a parasite infestation.

If there is a local fishery lab or university ichthyologist, there might be an interest in a diver recovering that eel and dropping it off with them.

In any event, some pitying soul should put that poor fish down.

I've seen that moray down there for more than a year. I don't think it's a "poor creature" How can anyone say one way or the other? It has obviously survived for a long time this way though.

Although this condition is obviously getting worse... the photo below is probably the same moray but my photo is from last december.

weird_whitespotted_moray.jpg

I have read/watched something about a herpes-like growth that was affecting turtles. I wonder if this is a similar virus.

HowardE:
I don't think it's a "poor creature" How can anyone say one way or the other? It has obviously survived for a long time this way though.

Holy crud, you have got to be kidding. This animal's got its head covered in growths. Some of them are in even in in its mouth. When you see fish or other vertebrates with conditions this severe-looking, they are routinely put down. You would normally only leave something this nasty alone if you're deliberately monitoring the condition (to the detriment of the animal).

Heck, I just showed these pics to two other biologists, and all three of us horrified.

In any event, if it's a genetically-derived neoplasm, the last thing you want is that specimen releasing gametes. If they fertilize with another moray's, that's just spreading the ailment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom