Can you identify this disease? (Spotted moray)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Holy crud, you have got to be kidding. This animal's got its head covered in growths. Some of them are in even in in its mouth. When you see fish or other vertebrates with conditions this severe-looking, they are routinely put down. You would normally only leave something this nasty alone if you're deliberately monitoring the condition (to the detriment of the animal).

Heck, I just showed these pics to two other biologists, and all three of us horrified.

In any event, if it's a genetically-derived neoplasm, the last thing you want is that specimen releasing gametes. If they fertilize with another moray's, that's just spreading the ailment.
I'm not kidding. Wouldn't capture be a more appropriate solution (if possible)

I've met some people that I wouldn't wanting to be releasing gametes. Did I say that? I guess I did.

I'd be really careful around that animal. He may attack anything, moreso because he can't see well. (at least it looks like it's blind)

who has the god given right to kill any animal in our beautiful oceans and seas . NOBODY ...... if the eel is showing signs of unnatural behaviour it could be removed for tests to a lab .

the beauty of nature is watching . this is why and how on the safari's people studing animals have to stand back and let nature do it thing .

respect for all animals . no matter what they look like

stevewirl:
who has the god given right to kill any animal in our beautiful oceans and seas . NOBODY ...... if the eel is showing signs of unnatural behaviour it could be removed for tests to a lab .

the beauty of nature is watching . this is why and how on the safari's people studing animals have to stand back and let nature do it thing .

respect for all animals . no matter what they look like

Good point. And I don't believe removing it or killing it will stop the spread of whatever disease it has, if in fact that's the case. Whatever it is, fungus or bacteria etc...it's in the water already. If it's genetic, it's not likely he's the only survivor either and he did get it from his parents so it's in the gene pool out there too. Live and let live. (in this case)

thanks hank good to know that someone loves the ocean's as well no matter how or what they look like . and try to change them for the better . but not killing animals coral or organisms .

if we all were to go around and kill what ever we felt like we wanted to kill . the oceans would be empity . nothing to see . the great whites numbers and some whale numbers have declined so much that its unbeliveable

no you could try and stand back and look at it from others eyes and not be so condesending . would you like to see fish stocks fished to extinction or dolphin and whales gone forever .

likewise with the smaller creatures .

love the oceans and everything in it and treat it with respect and hope that the ocean and everthing in it treats you with the same respect

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom