Can you identify this disease? (Spotted moray)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That all sounds logical....but, put it this way....if in fact this is a new, devastating disease that's going to wipe out the spotted eel population, I know you understand the futility of removing even 100 or 1000 of them from the wild, if you can find them, and hoping that you've eliminated the problem. Leaving the eel or killing it won't affect the eel populations or health of, in the least. If that's a serious disease, they're in trouble, if not, he'll just go by the wayside and be a memory....the weird eel.
If this were an isolated herd of...buffalo, or goats on an island that you can see and monitor... maybe...but eels in the sea? good luck.

There appears to be just this one, at present. I prefer *preventative maintenance*. :D

I also don't like leaving crippled animals to fend for themselves over long periods of time. If I can't help it one way (treatment), might as well help it another (euthanize).

There appears to be just this one, at present. I prefer *preventative maintenance*. :D

I also don't like leaving crippled animals to fend for themselves over long periods of time. If I can't help it one way (treatment), might as well help it another (euthanize).

Arch, what would be the most humane method of collecting or euthanizing the poor thing, not that I'm sure I can find it again. I'm also not sure I could be the one to deal the blow... it looks so pittiful. I realize that it must be suffering though. Also, do you think that the professors over at the Oceanographic Center would be interested in it, or should I just throw it away?

If there is a local marine lab, simply forward these pics (if can't locate a particular person, try the department head or even the main secretary), and ask if they would want the animal. If so, they'll likely MUCH prefer you delivering/mailing it to them. If you have the means and desire to do this, please let them know this up front. Having things mailed to researchers heavily influences decisions. :blinking:

As to killing it yourself, I would just try for a head or gill shot with a spear. Possibly with a spearhead you wouldn't mind losing. Or maybe a pole spear would be best. It'll be tricky... heck off the top of my head I can't think of a tougher shot. :hmmm:

Notwithstanding their strength, body shape, cryptic habit, and *bad attitude*, morays have remarkably tough skin, a lot like a shark's but much slimier.

It goes without saying that the eel can be quite dangerous if provoked. :sharks:

Even if you shoot the eel, you may not be able to recover it. You certainly don't want to risk injury to yourself if it's merely wounded, or jammed itself in some awkward crevice. That's fine, other critters will take care of the eel in their own way. Hopefully quickly.

As to killing it yourself, I would just try for a head or gill shot with a spear. Possibly with a spearhead you wouldn't mind losing. Or maybe a pole spear would be best. It'll be tricky... heck off the top of my head I can't think of a tougher shot. :hmmm:

Notwithstanding their strength, body shape, cryptic habit, and *bad attitude*, morays have remarkably tough skin, a lot like a shark's but much slimier.

It goes without saying that the eel can be quite dangerous if provoked. :sharks:

Even if you shoot the eel, you may not be able to recover it. You certainly don't want to risk injury to yourself if it's merely wounded, or jammed itself in some awkward crevice. That's fine, other critters will take care of the eel in their own way. Hopefully quickly.

"Hey Ya'll, Watch THIS!"

On the other hand, he could be one tough customer genetically, having not succumbed to whatever has infected him. If he's lucky enough (or she) to find a mate, it could be a good thing for the gene pool.
Or maybe these are wounds that got infected by whatever agent that is. In either case, man going into nature and "helping" again....whatever. But I would bet he's not the only one.
Worst case scenario is that it's a weakened immune system due to some pollutant building up in the water.

Worst case scenario is that it's a weakened immune system due to some pollutant building up in the water.
I've had a hankering (no pun intended) suspicion that this is a very likely scenario, given the location. Neoplasms *appear* to be more commonly popping up in polluted waters. Along with disease microbes, and harmful algae. Fungi are more of an unknown as there are so very few marine mycologists.

In any event, this specimen would be ideal to examine for genetic and tissue abnormalities.

Hey Kev, if you haven't found someone to refer this thing to, why not email the folks over at the Sanctuary? Maybe try Scott Donahue or Harold Hudson. Here's their phonebook.
http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/staff/welcome.html

That's a very interesting picture - the growths resemble viral lymphocystis, which is ugly, but not often fatal, at least in other species. I'm not familiar with its pathology in anguilliformes. The placement and pigmentation are suspiciously like a herpes virus though. I'll leave the leave it, collect it, or whack it with a rock question alone :)
If you do decide you'd like to bring it to a researcher, I might be able to help you track one down. I'm a marine bacteria freak myself, my lab only does very limited viral work. It is interesting though. Herpes viruses have also been linked to coral disease as well.

And yes, a weakened immune system is a likely underlying culprit. Many of these viruses stay dormant and don't show up unless the host is in trouble. Most humans have at least a few herpes viruses and never know it unless their immune system begin to fail.

sould be left for everyone to see the freak eel . it may be the only 1 of its kind .

ehh, I say let the professionals like arch take care of the sick sea critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom