Can you imagine diving with Orcas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be amazing, but frightening to me. They are intelligent, inquisitive, immense and powerful, and we have little basis to presume they have a moral sense of the value of human life. They're known to toss sea lions far into the air above water. My concern isn't that one might eat me, but rather that an eccentric orca might decide to play with me. If they decide to 'handle' something, without hands their options are limited...nudge, bite or whack it with the tail.

If I noticed rightly, looks like topside Darwin's Arch in the distance in the background later was still intact, so this was before the collapse of the top in 2021. When I went back to the page to check, had trouble getting the video to play again on that site.

Richard.

A friend of mine just did that in Norway a few weeks ago... Gee ! I'm sooo jalous.

Wow

I did it...

Sardine Run - July 2021 off the coast of Port St. Johns, South Africa. Imagine 1,000s of dolphins fleeing for their lives as a pod of Orcas pick them off one-by-one. It was epic.

The trip was done by Diver's Ready - you know the people behind the popular YouTube channel. Worth every penny.

We dove daily with bottlenose dolphins, common dolphins (not one or two - but thousands in super pods), copper sharks, ragged tooth sharks, humpback whales (like 20 a day probably), Brydes Whales, Gannets, seals...you name it.

Diving with the orcas was intimidating. Giant dorsal fin went by the RIB we were on and then you slide into the water, not entirely sure that they won't eat you. But the dolphins are what they are after....and the dolphins after the sardines.

Trip is happening this year again....not sure if I can make it, but it was wicked. Highly, highly recommended.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom