Can you recomend a dive shop for PADI Open Water Referral on Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Schnitzer

Registered
Reaction score
New to diving, got certified last year (PADI - Open Water Diver) with Dive Fair Helen in lovely St. Lucia. Had done a bunch of resort dives previously (St. John, USVI & Bora Bora) so I knew I liked it.

Getting married in June and going to Kauai & Maui. Fiance is finishing her classroom and pool work this week, and we're heading to Grand Cayman to finish her open water dives at the end of the month. Anyone can recommend a good dive shop with personal attention so that she completes her certification and is comfortable diving?

thanks!
Brent

My wife had trouble completing the skills for the final two dives of her SSI referral a few years ago in Bonaire. She ended up completing these with an instuctor at Don Fosters in GC. They provided her one on one service and worked with her to help her get past a problem with taking her mask off under water. I understand that PADI openwater may not require the same skills as SSI, but Don Fosters covers all of the certifying agencies.

After her early troubles, she ended up getting certified up to PADI Master Diver.

I have not been there since they moved to their new shop location, but the old location downtown was a pretty cool shore dive. I understand the new location is south of downtown, which is also a cool area for shore diving.

Hello: I dove with Dive Tech last summer at Cobalt Beach. From what I understand, they are back in business. If available, ask for Andy N. Kitchen, he is a good guy. John

I Would NEVER recomend Don Fosters. I found them to be a cattle shop operation and the customer service was lacking severly and the DM's bordered on being unsafe. I suggest you find a shop that is a little more smaller that can give the time you need to practice your skills should you need to.

FYI DF is the official dive shop for Carnival cruiselines in GC and they are always packed with cruise passangers.

michaelaz:
I Would NEVER recomend Don Fosters. I found them to be a cattle shop operation and the customer service was lacking severly and the DM's bordered on being unsafe. I suggest you find a shop that is a little more smaller that can give the time you need to practice your skills should you need to.

FYI DF is the official dive shop for Carnival cruiselines in GC and they are always packed with cruise passangers.

I dove with DF for the first and LAST time in Feb. There were 4 of us on this cattle boat. It got about a mile off shore and the engine died. It took them 5 hours to finally come & get us. There was no water or food aboard, no shelter; quite a few people were seasick as we kept drifting farther from shore in what eventually became 6' waves.

There was no explanation as to why it took them so long to come tow the boat back to the DF dock. I can only guess that whatever other charters were out there, THOSE customers were more important than us. When we arrived at DF there was no offer of refreshment or apology. They agreed to give us our money back for the trip and that was it.

Some customer service, eh?!

Go with Neptunes Divers.8 divers max.Keith and Casey run this opperation and are THE BEST.i only dive with them.You want customer service? NEPTUNES DIVERS is the way to go!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom