Can you still get Hero 1 accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlmightyApkallu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone. I have a perfectly good, mint condition GoPro Hero 1. I haven't used it for awhile and it was lightly used back when I did so. It made brilliant videos. I'd very much like to take it to the underworld but it seems that it is more or less impossible to find any accessories for anything before the Hero 3. It's saddening and feels like a marketing ploy by GoPro to force you into buying newer models. My Hero 1 works just fine but alas, I cannot find the Dive Housing and Red Filter anywhere online for it, they're all either for the Hero 3 or Hero 4, etc.

Does anyone know where I could get such a dive housing and red filter for my hero 1? Thank you kindly for any help!

The reason why the dive housings for the Hero HD and the Hero2 are so rare is that when GoPro finally got them to market, it was only about 3 months before the end of the Hero2 line and thus not a lot of them were ever produced. And what was produced was snapped very quickly as the market had been demanding them for quite some time. GoPro however never made a red filter for these housings. Oculus made one of the more popular models and they are still available on ebay for around $30.

As far as GoPro not making any effort to make accessories compatible, nothing could be farther from the truth. GoPro made sure the new Hero3 housings were designed to where they would still accept the bacpacs and bacpac doors that were made for the older Hero HD and Hero2 lines. The only reason the cases themselves could not be made cross compatible is that the lens was located slightly higher than the older models (a necessity in order to pack the new camera into its newer, considerably smaller size).

I understand, but I do wish they would have continued to make accessories even for older models for those who purchased them. I'd love to take my Hero 1 diving but can't find a way to do so at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom